Which will survive?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which will survive?

Just spend a few moments studying my little patch. I have watched the frost attack and just wonder how many of my charges will survive. Most of them are container grown:-

Kiwi...soil based
    2 Young apple tree....soil based
    Young Damson...container
    4 Bougainvillia....container
    Peach tree......container
    Lemon tree......container
    Calamondin.....container
    Blueberry.......container
    Strawberries in unheated greenhouse

Will I have to say a sad goodbye to them next spring and start all over again?

Only time, and a thaw will tell hon
    WPC F Hobbit, Shire police

Comment

I'd have thought the strawberries would be ok...hard to tell with the others though- fingers crossed!
      "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Yes I agree with Nicos, strawberries should be OK, I certainly hope so and mine too as they are outside not even in a greenhouse.

Comment

Not sure about Bougainvillia - it gets cold in Spain at night, so I guess it can cope with cold temperatures for a short spell. But not THIS cold and not for THIS long! Same, I'd guess, for the Lemon and Calamondin.

Only time will tell, fingers crossed for them
          Last edited by Glutton4...; 09-01-2010, 03:32 PM.
          All the best - Glutton 4 Punishment
          Freelance shrub butcher and weed removal operative.

Comment

Comment

Apples, damson and peach should be OK. Lemon and calamondin should have been put under cover before winter. Blueberry I think is hardy so should be ok, as should the strawberries. Good luck.

Comment

Well I did put a 2 layer of fleece over the lemon and calamonda and a little fleece over the bougainvilliea. As you say I will have to wait and see. (maybe they just lurve the cold and frost and will just thank me)

Comment

I love your optimism Brengirl!
                  All the best - Glutton 4 Punishment
                  Freelance shrub butcher and weed removal operative.

Comment

I forgot to put my lemon in the greenhouse before Christmas, and it got caught in the cold snap then. I've lost all the small lemons, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the greenhouse and multilayers of fleece will be enough for the tree to survive. It has gone through a whole winter outside before now and survived, but it wasn't as cold as this
                    The blueberries in pots have been fine in previous years, and hopefully my 2 apple trees will be OK.
                    My peach is still outside, I need to get Son No2 to lift it into the greenhouse, it's too heavy for me. Hopefully it will miss the dreaded peach leaf curl.
                    Good luck Brengirl,
                    I could not live without a garden, it is my place to unwind and recover, to marvel at the power of all growing things, even weeds!
                    Now a little Shrinking Violet.

http://potagerplot.blogspot.com/

Comment

my container orange tree died last year and it wasnt as cold for as long last year

Comment

Kiwi...soil based
                        Not sure.

2 Young apple tree....soil based
                        Should survive.

Young Damson...container
                        Will survive, but may suffer split bark and canker.

4 Bougainvillia....container
                        Not sure.

Peach tree......container
                        Probably survive.

Lemon tree......container
                        Not sure.

Calamondin.....container
                        Not sure.

Blueberry.......container
                        Should survive.

Strawberries in unheated greenhouse
                        Should survive.

Comment

Well thanks everyone. Maybe my little plot won't be too bare this year. The lemon tree still has fruit hanging on it. One lemon is large and turning colour. The kiwi has lost it's leaves but I can now see one little fruit from last year still hanging on and the dormant buds seem same as usual.

Comment

Kiwi should be fine,the lemon tree and calamondin probably will be ok if theres something to keep frost off the leaves, as long as the composts fairly dry
                            ( just dont do what i did one time and take the frost cloth off and let the sun in on a sunny day to warm them up...., the leaves will fall off with direct sun before the compost warms up ! )
                            Living off grid and growing my own food in Bulgaria.....

Comment

I've accidently left a pot grown lemon out in the past and it took a severe beating in a winter nowhere near as cold as this one and took a couple of years to recover and that's after I shoved it in the unheated greenhouse mid winter when I remembered. Think it's highly unlikely it will keep it's lemon or any of it's leaves but it depends on how sheltered the location is. I now keep my citrus trees in the conservatory over winter and don't put out again until after the frost has passed and find that they prefer it that way. At the amount they cost I'm not wanting to risk losing them if at all possible.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X