Melon Varieties

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Melon Varieties

Can anyone suggest a melon variety for me please? Last year we grew a melon from a supermarket canteloupe, which did surprisingly well (two tennis ball sized melons). This year I thought starting off with a suitable variety might get us a better crop.

I'll be growing it in our porch so it will stay nice and warm. It needs to be smallish though, no watermelons lol, as it will be growing in a pot and we need to get in/out the door.

The most important thing is it has to be tasty!

Thanks,
    Tam

Tam - could you pop your location into your profile - as the recommendation would change depending on where you are.

Comment

Edited I'm in Bedfordshire and I doubt the porch drops much below about 18oC even in this weather (it's double glazed).

Comment

Last year grandaughter and I grew Emir which were delicious. Didn't get many from three plants (I think is was 4) and we also got a couple of tiddlers from a supermarket galia. All tasted lovely.
        I think lack of real success was down to the fact that I wasn't feeding them as well as I should so this year we are going to attempt it again but paying more attention to richer compost (rather than liquid feed which we used last year)
        I am also giving Sweetheart melons a go this year too.
        Last edited by Sanjo; 22-02-2010, 12:41 PM.

Comment

I like cantaloupe personally, reasonable small fruit and tatse great.

I'm planning on growing some this year too, and am going to try for the above, and perhaps galia too.

Comment

I can recommend Melon Sweetheart. Fruits are about hand sized. Last year I got 4 from each plant.
            AKA Angie

Comment

I'm trying charentaise and a water melon called sugar baby. Both are supposed to cope with UK temperatures but we'll see....

Comment

Sweet heart looks a good option then. Are there any others that would take advantage of the warmth? I'm not sure I need something specifically aimed at UK as if it's 18oC in there now whilst there is snow out it's not really going to see much of the typical uk weather

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X