raspberry help

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• raspberry help

I know this gets asked a lot and I have read through the other threads, but I'm still having trouble getting my head around it. I got a plot in early winter and it has raspberry canes on it. I don't know what variety they are, so don't know if I should be pruning them now or not. They have a lot of dead berries on them, I can see where they have been pruned at one time (would this be apparent on summer fruiting raspberries?), and there are what appear to be young raspberries growing around the main plants. So what should I do? Prune now or leave it? I've included photos of the pruned area and the young raspberry canes, if it helps at all.
    Attached Files
    Hill of Beans updated April 18th

Hi there
    Other people will probably advise you better than I but basically irrespective of what type they are I treat both types the same & once they have fruited I cut out the old fruiting canes.
    Last edited by flighty1; 23-02-2010, 10:18 PM.

Comment

Both types you cut down the canes that have fruited. With autumn raspberries that should be all of them. With summer raspberries there should be some canes that haven't fruited (don't cut these) and they are the ones that will fruit this year.

Start cutting old the canes that have fruited, if you have canes left when you are done you have summer rasps, if you don't you have autumn.

That's my understanding anyway

Comment

Yup. Just cut back the canes that have obviously fruited. If in doubt don't cut, it won't hurt until you can be sure to leave a few untidy, non-productive canes on.
        Why didn't Noah just swat those 2 greenflies?

Why are they called apartments when they are all stuck together?
        >
        >If flying is so safe, why do they call the airport the terminal?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
        Working...
        X