Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moving Blackcurrant Bushes

Hi all

I have 2 blackcurrant bushes on my plot which are fruiting nicely (in the summer obviously) but i cant make my mind up whether i like them where they are. I was considering moving them in the Autumn when they are dormant but wanted some advice on how to go about this.

Thanks

Paula

I've moved fruit bushes myself in the past. It does set them back a little over the course of a year, but generally speaking I have never had any serious problems.

Comment

I have moved them in spring ,autumn and winter.
      Secret is to dig a big hole all round bush and take as many roots AND soil as possible and then place in a well manured (old rotted) hole and water well and firm soil.. and keep damp.

Best done when rain expected. And NEVER when plant is in leaf.

I've killed none yet..

Comment

I have moved blackcurrants many times. Autumn or early spring are certainly the best times, but I have moved them in summer as well. If you can take a good rootball you will not notice any check - it is only when the roots are damaged that you will see the plant protesting ! When you do move your plants do put them in a little deeper so that plenty of new shoots grow from below ground level

Comment

Same as Madasafish!

do yours have buds on at the moment?? mine are just swelling- if yours are still very tight I'd do it ASAP!

You could always put them into a tub for now if you're not quite sure/ready where to put them.
          I've brought out 5 from the UK and they've all survived
          Last edited by Nicos; 15-03-2010, 04:02 PM.
          "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

If you could wait a year I would take cuttings and grow them on. Next winter, once the plant is dormant, do as has been said, big hole, as much root as possible etc.
            Blackcurrant bushes are pretty hardy, I have moved mine a couple of times, but if they should die, then you can plant the cuttings into the space afterwards.
            Bob Leponge
            Life's disappointments are so much harder to take if you don't know any swear words.

Comment

What a good idea Bob - a quick search has indicated that the best time to do cuttings is October / November time. I would suggest moving them and taking cuttings then.
              Whooops - now what are the dogs getting up to?

Comment

Thanks everyone. I am defo planning to move them but i will wait till autumn when hopefully i have my holes prepared and the bushes are dormant.

Great advice

Comment

Originally posted by Madasafish View Post
                  I have moved them in spring ,autumn and winter.
                  Secret is to dig a big hole all round bush and take as many roots AND soil as possible and then place in a well manured (old rotted) hole and water well and firm soil.. and keep damp.

Best done when rain expected. And NEVER when plant is in leaf.

I've killed none yet..
                  same as above,they are a tough plant,i have 5 plants in pots sitting in the back yard thru all the bad weather we have had and they are now in full bud,raring to get into flower,started off as hardwood cuttings just shoved into soil filled pots and forgot about early last year. have now planted them out,cool,moist day ideal conditions to settle them in
                  Last edited by BUFFS; 18-03-2010, 08:06 PM. Reason: plants now in ground

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X