Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rhubarb advice required please

I have just had a look at my rhubarb.
    It produced quite a few sticks last year, and although it was its first year and I know that you aren't supposed to take any the first year, there was so much that I took a few.
    I have just been out and checked on it, lots of sticks, but also some florets.

Should I remove these or leave them?

“If your knees aren't green by the end of the day, you ought to seriously re-examine your life.”

"What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Charles Churchill : A dog will look up on you; a cat will look down on you; however, a pig will see you eye to eye and know it has found an equal

I remove mine, though they are a thing of beauty (in my silly eyes) sometimes if I miss one it let it flower just for the fun of it!

But yes, in the case of a new plant I would remove it as it takes a lot of energy to produce that huge flower spike!

Comment

Yes I was thinking it would remove energy from the stalks so probably best to remove them. They are quite pretty though

Another thought, can you eat the florets?

Waste not want not, that's my motto.

“If your knees aren't green by the end of the day, you ought to seriously re-examine your life.”

"What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Charles Churchill : A dog will look up on you; a cat will look down on you; however, a pig will see you eye to eye and know it has found an equal

Comment

Originally posted by weekendwellies View Post
        Yes I was thinking it would remove energy from the stalks so probably best to remove them. They are quite pretty though

Another thought, can you eat the florets?

Waste not want not, that's my motto.
        Given the leaves are poisonous I hate to think!

Mine 'bolted' last year, so I removed the 'blooms' as soon as I could (albeit a few weeks after the event so to speak). They seem ok this year - well, one of them does.
        A simple dude trying to grow veg. http://haywayne.blogspot.com/

BLOG UPDATED! http://haywayne.blogspot.com/2012/01...ar-demand.html 30/01/2012

Practise makes us a little better, it doesn't make us perfect.

What would Vedder do?

Comment

Have em off. Treat em mean, they love it.
          Personally I wouldnt eat the florets, far too much of something unpleasant acidy stuff, name of which escapes me.
          Bob Leponge
          Life's disappointments are so much harder to take if you don't know any swear words.

Comment

I think it is oxalic acid but I could be wrong.

Comment

From what i read here you cold probably eat a very small amount of the flower and the buds aren't as bad Willy World: Rhubarb flowers... an e-mail question

Comment

Originally posted by Neiller59 View Post
                From what i read here you cold probably eat a very small amount of the flower and the buds aren't as bad Willy World: Rhubarb flowers... an e-mail question
                Gosh- that was interesting about the chalk!!! (I suppose it's as harmless as the kaolin in kaolin and morphine!...can you still buy that these days??)

( I wonder if you could powder up a piece of blackboard chalk- or does that have something added to make it solid??)
                "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

I always take the flower shoots off and that drives the energy back into growing more leaf.

I've now got 7 crowns in, one on it's own and 6 in a raised box and they're really doing well this year, the 6 in the box are second year so that seems to work as I didn't take any off last year.

Baked rhubarb with grilled mackerel is superb
                  TonyF, Dordogne 24220

Comment

Originally posted by wollyanna View Post
                    I think it is oxalic acid but I could be wrong.
                    You are not wrong. There is a lot in the leaves. A small amount of Oxalic acid will not harm a healthy person, there is some in Oca tubers and even more in Oca leaves. People with stomach, bowel, liver or blood conditions should be very careful though. I reckon that is about 90% of us wrinklies.
                    Why didn't Noah just swat those 2 greenflies?

Why are they called apartments when they are all stuck together?
                    >
                    >If flying is so safe, why do they call the airport the terminal?

Comment

Always remove the flower stalks as soon as they appear as they take a lot of energy to produce. I read somewhere that they only produce flowers when under stress so it might be worth looking at their growing conditions.

Ian

Comment

It is against a 3 brick high wall and gets most of the days sun. Do they not throw out flowers every year then?
                        I can move it to the lottie if it is not happy in the garden. When is the best time to shift them.
                        Also I would like to move the gooseberries to the lottie. When should I do that?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X