Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grapevines, Plum and Pear

Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone could help out with some advice on the above?

I bought bare root plum, pear and cherry trees for containers a couple of weeks ago and planted them on in multi-purpose and vermiculite within very large, tall containers. The cherry is sprouting leaves (since day 2) but the pear and plum are still looking pretty dead with brown dried up nodules along the twigs. The trees are alive as I scraped back a tiny layer of bark and underneath was green. Is this normal and are they just a little later to come to life in spring? Also, should I be feeding them with anything? I gave the pear tree to my Nan so we'd both be grateful for any advice.

Re the grapevines, these were delivered at the same time, and turned up as two twigs about 10" tall. I planted then in the same mix, but in smaller pots. Is this ok, and again should I be feeding them with anything?

Thanks for any help.

Originally posted by Ems View Post
    I ... planted them on in multi-purpose and vermiculite
    That's probably not gutsy enough for permanent plantings: they need something like a John Innes No.3 mixture

"A good blend is loam-based compost (2 parts) with well-rotted compost or farmyard manure (1 part)" http://www.trees-for-you.com/dwarf-fruit-trees.html
    Last edited by Two_Sheds; 20-04-2010, 10:13 AM.
    All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

If they've been kept in cold storage by the supplier they will take a little while to get going. You will have to keep them well watered as they're new and in pots. Agree with TS about better soil.

Comment

Also to add to the advice above, are they definately dwarfing rootstocks on the cherry/pear/plum trees?
        If so, you will need to re-pot them quite often - every one to two years (obviously depending how big the pot you have them in already) and remember not to prune the plum until summertime.
        A good feed every two weeks when in flower and setting fruit will help too

Comment

And every year, sprinkle each pot with a handful of Sulphate of potash in January and a handful of Sulphate of ammonia in March. Then every 3 years give them a handful of Superphosphates. Unless of course you are growing organically in which case just give them loads of chicken sh... sorry .. pellets in spring.
          Why didn't Noah just swat those 2 greenflies?

Why are they called apartments when they are all stuck together?
          >
          >If flying is so safe, why do they call the airport the terminal?

Comment

Thanks for this guys, that's brilliant.

The two 'laggers' (pear and plum) have started showing signs of coming to life now which is great. Also one of the grapevines has signs of a leaf sprouting.

I think I'll leave them settle in and grow for this season as they are, and then when they're dormant repot them into better compost and bigger containers. The ones they're in are pretty big in terms of overall volume, but am worried that they're too tall and thin for trees.

I'll have to copy and paste all your advice so I can keep it!!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
            Working...
            X