Odd rhubarb

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Odd rhubarb

Thinking it was the thing to do, I put an upturned dustbin on top of each of my rhubard crowns.

I took a peek at them yesterday. They seem to have grown into a very odd shape. The crown from which the new stems grow seems to have raised itself about 200mm from the soil level. There dosn't seem to be any substantial stalks to pull.

Can anyone give me a clue as to what forced rhubarb should look like.

Regards
    Martin Henwood

It should be quite pink stemmed with small poorly formed yellow leaves

http://www.efoodies.co.uk/content/eb...barb%20med.jpg
    Mark

Vegetable Kingdom blog

Comment

Sounds like its upside down. I believe forced rhubarb should resemble natural grown. Wait for a more knowledgeable grape to give you advice as I am only guessing.
      sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
      --------------------------------------------------------------------
      Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
      -------------------------------------------------------------------
      Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
      -----------------------------------------------------------
      KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

Sounds like a flower stem!!!

...bit strange!!!

..if it is an early flower then chop it off.

think you may need to do a bit of google images before taking that drastic measure.
        You do realise that when you force rhubarb like that it tends to die?? letting it flower may well kill it too!

How old is the crown?
        "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

I thought that too Nicos but you beat me to it. This is what I was going to say:

Could it be flowering? The flower stalk grows out of the plant and doesn't have much in the way of usual rhubarb stalks. If it is, just cut off the flower so that it puts all its effort into rhubarb and not flowers. Here is a picture of a flower stalk. http://www.extension.umn.edu/yardand...arbflowers.jpg
          A garden is a lovesome thing, God wot! (Thomas Edward Brown)

Comment

from the replies so far it sounds like my rhubarb is flowering.

Does forcing rhubarb realy kill the plant. If so, will simply taking the dusbin off allow it to return to normal.

The crowns about 3 years old but it was transplanted last year. also it's at the back my shed and all the winters rainwater drained onto it. I think this may have washed all the goodness out of the soil. so much remedial treatment is needed.

Suggestions please.

Thanks
            Martin.

Comment

Originally posted by Nicos View Post
              You do realise that when you force rhubarb like that it tends to die?? letting it flower may well kill it too!
              I haven't lost any crowns that have been forced - they usually require to take a breather the following season, so I don't pull any stems, just let them recover themselves.
              Rat

British by birth
              Scottish by the Grace of God

http://scotsburngarden.blogspot.com/
              http://davethegardener.blogspot.com/

Comment

I would say feed it if you can with some compost or similar, whatever you have. Rhubarb is a bit of a gannet and needs quite a bit of feeding. As Sewer Rat says, just give it time to recover and a good feed and it should be OK.
                Last edited by scarey55; 21-04-2010, 08:55 PM.
                A garden is a lovesome thing, God wot! (Thomas Edward Brown)

Comment

the above picture (Nicos) looks juts like my rhubarb plant. I have already pulled and eaten a few stalks this year and then I noticed 2 lots of flowers forming.

Just to clarify...do I chop it off AND give it a good feed too.

Mine was inherited from my Dads patch so I have no idea how old it is and it is in a bright sunny spot as that was the only place left in my garden that I could squeeze it in after filling my veggie plot to the max last year.
                  Maybe its in the wrong place and is too sunny?

Thanks in advance of any advice.
                  Row
                  Its nice to be important but its more important to be nice

Comment

forced rhubarb

Forced rhubarb has long very pink stems and yellow crinkled leaves that have not opened out. Forcing rhubarb exhausts it and the professionals throw it away but it should recover if you keep it well fed and watered. Don't force the same plant again for a couple of years. Letting rhubarb flower also tends to exhaust it and it may die so if you are not collecting seed from it cut off the flower as soon as you notice it is coming up and make sure your plant is well fed.
                    I read somewhere that rhubarb needs a certain number of days of cold before it starts to grow again and I wonder if you covered it before that number was up and that's why the crown lifted. Check out the 'rhubarb triangle' which is an area of Yorkshire near Wakefield where rhubarb is professionally forced for the early market.

Comment

When did you cover it? Rhubarb doesn't need forcing at this time of year as it's growing anyway... should be covered January time for forcing and cover removed around March.

Rotted horse manure is a good feed for rhubarb, and the odd drink of nettle tea.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X