Couple of Apricot Questions

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Couple of Apricot Questions

I've a Dwarf Aprigold - in a pot, it's in full flower - looks really nice etc, but I've read on here about some peeps' fruit setting fruit already?

How do I know if my tree has been polinated? Should I go around with a small soft paintbrush to make sure? What happens then, in a few days do the base of the blossom swell into fruits?

I've also just noticed that some of the blossom seems to be dying, going a little bit lighter in colour, and not looking that healthy. I water it 3 times a week min, giving it a real good dousing with the hose.

Also, I've noticed that a colony of ants have been marching up and down it - some were in the blossom ( I presume for the nectar?) are these a problem?

Thanks
    Attached Files

There are plenty of pollinating insects around so you shouldn't need to use the paint brush. However it would not hurt to do so and would double the chances of fruit set. I would think that the ants are looking for aphids to farm so have a good look for them.

Ian

Comment

Does the blossom drop off, and then the tree set fruit? First time owning one, so I've no idea

Comment

I have a dwarf Aprigold as well, when the blossom drops off there's a little green blob in the center that swellls into a beautiful golden apricot. I must admit I did sneak around with the paintbrush though. shhhhhhhhh.....

Comment

Very tempted to get one of these little guys, despite the nature of the thread Can I move it indoors in the winter like my mini orange?
          Last edited by Llamas; 30-04-2010, 07:36 PM.
          The Impulsive Gardener

www.theimpulsivegardener.com

Chelsea Uribe Garden Design www.chelseauribe.com

Comment

There's no need to move an Apricot indoors as they are very hardy, because of the early nature of apricots the only thing I do is fleece when there is frost and blossom about at the same time (only once this year...phew)...

Comment

Even better!
              The Impulsive Gardener

www.theimpulsivegardener.com

Chelsea Uribe Garden Design www.chelseauribe.com

Comment

Congrats to those with flowering apricots.

I got a dwarf apricot early last year and planted it in a pot. Last year it grew leaves.

I left it in a sheltered spot in the garden over winter but this year I think it's dead. The main tree has nothing - not a bud, not a leaf or anything.

There is one upright branch coming up from the bottom and this is the only thing that has leaves. I think this is a sucker and I should have pruned this off but now I don't know what to do because it's the only branch with leaves. The rest of the tree is a goner.

Any advice? Thanks.

Comment

My dwarf apricot is only just starting to get the buds to swell.

It my be worth scraping a small bit of bark on a branch to check it is green.

Comment

Hmm, I thought they weren't hardy! Every night I've carried it intot he garage, at the back, and tucked it behind my hockey kit to keep it warm!! :\ No wonder I'm getting a bad back!

Comment

Apricots are prone to peach leaf curl so I would be inclined to bring it into the greenhouse in winter just to safeguard against this disease.

Ian

Comment

Leaf Curl is a fungal disease which overwinters in the crevices of the tree bark and around the buds. One or two well timed applications of a copper based fungicide (a.k.a Bordeaux mixture) should control the disease. The timing of the fungicide spray varies with differing stone fruit varieties. For apricots, spraying at leaf fall and again as buds show pink is recommended. For peaches, spraying is best in late winter when buds first swell. If the tree is kept in a pot then I would bubblewrap or fleece the pot during the coldest periods of winter to stop the frost getting to the roots, or alternately go along with Gojiberry and put in in the greenhouse.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X