Leaf Infection - Any Ideas?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leaf Infection - Any Ideas?

I have a curious leaf infection on one of my fruit trees.
    I'd love to hear peoples comments on whether they've seen such things before -
    and what trees/bushes it was on and what was the likely cause?

erm

my dwarf apricot (aprigold) leaves look liek that - I thought it was normal?

eek!

They feel a little more rubbery than other leaves on the tree.. for mine, it only is affecting maybe 6/7 on the tips of its branches.
    Last edited by chris; 04-05-2010, 01:18 PM.

Comment

I don't know much about stuff but it looks like peach leaf curl to me (but then you'd know if it was that) I say this because it looks just like the leaves on my infected peach tree but then the blossom/fruit looks more like apple. As I said, I don't know much
      Last edited by scarey55; 04-05-2010, 02:35 PM. Reason: Just realised that I am talking to the fruit expert!
      A garden is a lovesome thing, God wot! (Thomas Edward Brown)

Comment

Peach leaf curl or a close relative. Is it on an apple. I have had serious problems with this disease on my peach tree to the extent the tree was almost dead. However this last winter I dragged the pot and tree into the greenhouse and lo and behold no leaf curl and the tree looks great although rather one sided on growth. I will leave it another coupleof weeks and then put it outside for the summer. It even had a good bit of blossom but I didn't pollinate as I want to build the strength of the tree back up.

Ian

Comment

What do you do to fix? Should I remove the infcted ones? Will it affect the fruit in terms of eating? - not poisonous or owt?

Comment

YUp- it looks quite similar to my peach tree!

Are those pear leaves in the piccie?
            If it's a plum then it could be something like peach leaf curl cos aren't plums and peaches related???
            "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Originally posted by chrismarks View Post
              What do you do to fix? Should I remove the infcted ones? Will it affect the fruit in terms of eating? - not poisonous or owt?
              If it is peach leaf curl then you can pick off the affected leaves and the tree should be able to cope but it will be weakened. I did this last year and we had 6 beautiful peaches. I sprayed it this year (Feb) with something similar to Bordeaux mixture but I should have also sprayed in the Autumn so I still have it. I'm hoping it isn't as severe but I'll let you know.

Comment

OK, the question was carefully worded so as not to bias anyone.

My suspicion is that it's peach leaf curl.

......but....

....and it's a big but....

as someone guessed earlier - it's on an apple tree (well, bush actually).

It is on my Scrumptious MM106 bush.
                It affects a small proportion of the young shoots (maybe 1/10) around or just after blossom time in most growing seasons - I usually prune it out and the problem doesn't come back until the next spring.

But I've never heard of peach leaf curl on an apple tree.
                However, this Scrumptious MM106 is the only one of my many apple trees that ever gets it.

Comment

A bit out of left field and highly technical for me but can you get apples growing on peach rootstock?

Comment

As far as I know, apples/pears/plums won't grow on each others rootstocks, although pears can be grown on pear or Quince stocks and apples can be grown on apple or crab-apple stocks. Peaches/nectarines/plums/almonds may also be able to share some rootstocks.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X