Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cherry tree whip

Hi there,
    I have a cherry tree which I planted in a large pot a few months ago. I believe its a whip, as it has no branches, just one tall stem - about 2.5m.

As it hasnt voluntarily started to grow branches, does this mean I have to prune it? If so, how much should I cut off and when?

Thanks
    Katherine

It depends on the variety, the rootstock and what size/shape you plan to grow the tree.

Most trees will send out branches all the way down the trunk - but you don't see many trees like that because humans cut the lower branches off so you can walk under the tree.

I wouldn't cut it back now as the loss of structure will shock the life out of it and it'll just stop growing and rush to fruit.

The best time to prune would have been just as the leaf buds begin to open in the spring.
    I don't like to prune newly planted trees because it takes their strength away and slows down the formation of a good root system, since there are less leaves to gather sunlight and supply photosynthesis products to the roots.
    I prefer to wai until after a tree has shown one season of at least 12 inches of growth before considering pruning.
    But, given time, it should branch by itself. Whether to let it do that depends on what size/shape you want.

When the time comes to prune, the more you cut off, the more branches will be produced, but the shorter each one will be.
    Cut it back by 1/3 and you'll get 2-3 long branches.
    Cut it back by 1/2 and you'll get 3-4 good branches.
    Cut it back by 2/3 and you'll get several short branches.

Branching tendency varies considerably between varieties.

Once you prune it, the trunk height will be "locked in". If it's 6ft and you cut it back by half, the trunk will always remain 3ft.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
    Working...
    X