Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tropical Fruit

Hi guys
    Im lookin to add to my tropical fruit collection by trying to grow something news. I am not looking for something that i know will not survive even a summer outside or will go gigantic before i see any flowers. Ideally im lookin for a small bush or shrub. I have already got a passionfruit, melon,feijoa and naranjilla. I want to be realistic and hope to get at least a bloom with some hot weather and overwinterd in a small conservatory or with lots of protection.
    Any recomondations please.
    Dont judge a plant by it's pot.

Grow a mango seed, though I dunno how long until flowers... But Tesco mangos should be an easy 'for fun' experiment...

Comment

Greasy - any chance you can get the coach down to the Eden Project? Loads of inspiring ideas in there
      All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Lemon trees are quite easy to look after as long as you dont overwater them

sharon fruit ( persimmon ) are quite easy and quite quick to grow but need a hot summer to ripen,

dragon fruit are another one that is quite easy ( but very slow to grow ) ,

pomegranites can be grown from seed that flower and fruit when they get to about 2 years old , i bought seeds from the states (to get mini ones , the std ones grow from tescos as well but grow bigger) i just searched for mini pomegranite plants and got some seeds that give almost 0std size pomegranites when the plant gets 18 inch (or something like that) high , the plants i grew from seeds are better than the plants i bought
        Last edited by starloc; 28-06-2010, 09:41 AM.
        Living off grid and growing my own food in Bulgaria.....

Comment

Originally posted by Zenithtb View Post
          Grow a mango seed, though I dunno how long until flowers... But Tesco mangos should be an easy 'for fun' experiment...
          Oh i am already growing a mango seed, dont hope to get any fruit or flowers just for decoration, it is one of the easiest things to grow mangoes.

[QUOTE=starloc;703211]sharon fruit ( persimmon ) are quite easy and quite quick to grow but need a hot summer to ripen, dragon fruit are another one that is quite easy ( but very slow to grow )
          i was considering persimmon but very hard to buy trees anywher, and would you get a flowers from dragon fruit.
          Dont judge a plant by it's pot.

Comment

How about Physalis - cape gooseberry. I grow a few varieties of them, you can grow them outside in the summer. Depends on weather, they might crop well outside. But they do crop reliable in greenhouse You can just take a cutting in autumn and over winter in the conservatory.

Comment

chilean guava? (Ugni molinae) I've got a baby one, just needs protection for the new spring growth as the frost kills it off - fruit only the size of a small blueberrry but tasty

Comment

Pepino? I'm trying those this year.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X