Is this a cherry tree?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is this a cherry tree?

I have a small tree approximately 2m tall which has grown from scratch. It appeared 5 years ago from nothing and has continued to thrive without any feeding etc. It has red leaves and for the past two years has blossomed in the spring and has borne fruit which looks very much like cherries. I picked one a week ago and cut it open to find a cherry like stone. The fruit was firm and fleshy, I obviously didn't attempt to eat it.
    Any advice that you can give would be very gratefully received.
    Please find the attached photos.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Graham C; 25-07-2010, 01:04 PM. Reason: Edit photos

Sorry, the pictures are far too small!
    All the best - Glutton 4 Punishment
    Freelance shrub butcher and weed removal operative.

Comment

Originally posted by Glutton4... View Post
      Sorry, the pictures are far too small!
      Yeah sorry about that but due to the restrictions on attachment sizes this was all I could upload.

Comment

I can't tell from your pics and I'm no expert, Graham - but a cherry plum tree has red leaves - Prunus cerasifera.
        Whooops - now what are the dogs getting up to?

Comment

Originally posted by Jeanied View Post
          I can't tell from your pics and I'm no expert, Graham - but a cherry plum tree has red leaves - Prunus cerasifera.
          Thanks for that, just checked this out on a couple of other sites and I think you are correct. I've changed the photos so they should now be legible. Guess I need to join a PC forum next to learn how to upload photos

Comment

Yup - I think it is, from the photos - and cherries form in pairs, don't they? Not like your fruits.
            Whooops - now what are the dogs getting up to?

Comment

Yup - I'd go with Jeanie! Have you tried one yet? Are they tasty?
              All the best - Glutton 4 Punishment
              Freelance shrub butcher and weed removal operative.

Comment

Originally posted by Glutton4... View Post
                Yup - I'd go with Jeanie! Have you tried one yet? Are they tasty?
                Thanks both of you, I haven't tried them yet because I was a bit apprehensive as to whether they were edible. The actual texture of the fruit is a cross between a red grape and a plum. They are a bit firm at the moment so I think I'll give them another week or so. According to one site I looked at they should be good to eat between late July and September. I will keep you informed on their taste and if I get belly ache.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X