Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Infected apple tree

Hi
    Advice as to the cure for the fungal (I think) infection shown on the picture of leaves attached and also for the infection within the apple as pictured.

I have included a picture of the apple whole and on the tree, maybe the variety, if relevant, can be identified from this?

Many thanks

Roger

Can't see your picture Roger. Our resident fruit expert is FB, who will no doubt be along in a bit. But even he won't be able to help if he can't see the picture.

Comment

Hi rustylady. Many thanks for reply. I am a new boy here got it wrong it seems.
      Pictures are at this url :- New Page 4

Will try the picture inserting option again:-

Regards

Roger

Comment

No problem Roger, got your picture via the link. The insert still doesn't work. Still can't see an apple though. Just leaves with brown marks on them. Where is your tree growing (pot or open ground), and how old is it. Also whereabouts are you? If you add your location to your profile it will show up on your posts and save us keep asking.

Comment

Hi Again rustylady. Many thanks for your continued interest. Have now completed my profile. You should see 3 pictures on the url of NEW PAGE 4 New Page 4 .One of the apple leaves, second nasty looking infected half of apple, last of the apple on the tree.

The tree has been in the open ground for I think 4 years. Was maybe 1.5 m high when we bought it. 2 other apple trees and a pear nearby, the apples are similarly affected but less so. The pear has the (or similar) fungal infection slightly. If you are still having problems viewing all the pics maybe I can e-mail them to you?

As now on my profile. We are in Andalucia, in the countryside surrounded by almond trees if this is at all relevant.

Regards

Roger.

Comment

Hello. The leaf damage looks like scab (or less likely but possible leaf miner damage) to me while the cross section of the fruit looks very much like codling moth damage. Have you noticed any worm like grubs inside the apples?

Comment

Agree with hailtryfan.
              Scab on the leaf and codling moth damage to the apple.
              Feed the soil, not the plants.
              (helps if you have cluckies)

Man v Squirrels, pigeons & Ants
              Bob

Comment

Hi hailtryfan & Bob.
                Many thanks for your help. Now I know what to look for I have seen pics & videos of both problems. Certainly looks like scab and codling moth as you say.

Cannot be certain that I see grubs in the apples, certainly nothing moving. Black deposit, bits in this that could be dead grubs. I have added a clearer picture of a section.

May I ask for more help! Do you have any tried and tested cures/treatments that you would advise me to use?

Regards

Roger

Comment

Personally at this time of the year Itend not to worry about scab, but wether that holds true for spain with a warmer climate, I do not know. Maybe one of the experts will be along soon
                  Codling moth--I normally use pheromone traps in the late spring/summer and grease bands all year round.
                  Didnt bother this year, and reckon I have about 50% of my apples damaged by codling moth.
                  Back to the gbs and traps for next year
                  Last edited by fishpond; 21-09-2010, 10:27 AM.
                  Feed the soil, not the plants.
                  (helps if you have cluckies)

Man v Squirrels, pigeons & Ants
                  Bob

Comment

Hi Roger,

I've been lucky enough to avoid serious problems with codling moth through luch rather than judgement. The varieties I grow have some resistance to scab. I've heard grease bands and pheremone traps offer some protection from codling moth as Fishbob says while pesticides are more effecive but more damaging to the environment. Scab can be controlled with fungicides (or possibly an organic alternative) but the most ecofriendly and effective protection is growing varieties with natural resistance that grow well in your local climate.

Hope you

Comment

Many thanks to all who have offered help in diagnosis and advice in control. Busy looking up codling moth and scab on the web. Also putting grease bands on all fruit trees. Pheromone traps will certainly be in use next spring. Will also have a word with the local farmer (although he is 99% olives) about chemical sprays. Again, many thanks for all the help. Regards Roger

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X