Apple tree near a Sycamore

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Apple tree near a Sycamore

On behalf of my grandma who is interested in planting an apple tree directly into the ground, i am wondering if it is feasible to grow an apple tree close to a sycamore tree?

The apple trees that she possess are all grown on M26 rootstocks, and i could appreciate that the more vigour the better under the circumstances, but unfortunately these are all we have to work with.

And no, cutting the sycamore is not an option, its is protected by the council

In your area, you probably have adequate moisture. Ideally you need several hours of direct sunlight per day for apples. Cookers and early ripening apples may not need quite as much sun.

Therefore, I think that M26 will be able to grow within the root spread of a larger tree, although M26 will need a bit of help to establish in the early years and will probably always be rather small.
    If you have a vigorous variety on M26, its extra vigour would balance against the poorer conditions.

Comment

I suppose it being a smallish tree is actually more beneficial, just aslong as the sycamore wont suffocate the tree and she will get a reasonable crop, that'll just have to do!
      Thanks

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
      Working...
      X