Unusual Seedlings?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unusual Seedlings?

i planted a couple of satsuma seeds as a bit of an experiment and one of them seems to have sprouted 2 seedlings from one seed (id take a few pics but i cant upload) can i separate these and grow as two plants?

EDIT: on removing the seedlings from the compost it turned out to be 2 separate seedlings from 2 separate seeds ...oops

i'm still unsure if its 2 satsuma or a satsuma and a lemon.. but hey ho.. (feel free to delete.. im unsure if im able to..)
    Last edited by Nordmead; 12-12-2010, 11:54 PM.

I'm sure you can grow them on, not sure if they'll be true to type though? If they do fruit it'll be years...

Edit: probably not enuogh light now, unless you plan on getting up a lighting enviornment...
    Last edited by chris; 13-12-2010, 08:07 AM.

Comment

It is great when you get something to germinate from seed. However from experience I have found that these do not live very long and/or take a very long time to grow to be anything. But hey you might have greener fingers than me
      Updated my blog on 13 January

http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra.../blogs/stella/

Comment

grow them on, many of our established fruit trees were once somebodys seed planting !

Comment

Originally posted by chrismarks View Post
          I'm sure you can grow them on, not sure if they'll be true to type though? If they do fruit it'll be years...
          the fact that they may not be true to type was one of the reasons i chose to see if they'd grow from seed, i imagine i shall be waiting a very long long time to see if they decide to fruit...

Originally posted by chrismarks View Post
          Edit: probably not enuogh light now, unless you plan on getting up a lighting enviornment...
          yep.. got the cfl's all set up although.. ones a bit leggy since i left it in the airing cupboard a few days too long

Comment

If you have a mature tree you could graft a bit on to get earlier fruit

Comment

the best way to plant citrus seeds is to delicately remove the outer skin of seed, i put them on wet tissue and can see the root in a couple of days, but they usually grow to a couple of cm tall and just stop and believe me ive had many oranges and lemon seedlings and they all stay that way
              Dont judge a plant by it's pot.

Comment

Being lazy I put my satsuma pips in a large indoor plant pot and forgot about them. They grew and were quite attractive and glossy leaved so I left them. They grew about a metre high and regretfully I had to get rid of them as they were totally pot bound and had huge thorns.

Comment

What a shame Hope they were rehomed

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X