hardyish fig trees

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hardyish fig trees

I really fancy having a go at fig trees, but I have tried researching it, and I cant get a definitive answer to my question.
    Which is the best tasting fig tree that will cope well with northern weather, and do well in a lartge pot (winter in the greenhouse)?

Most will cope well with outside in summer in in winter.

I've several I have this way.

Reads Nursery probably has the best and most reasonably priced collection for sale & should be able to advise you. Mine are only young so whilst alive and well not fruiting much yet so can't advise on taste etc!

Comment

I have looked at Reads catalogue, and it doesnt give you consistant reviews on hardiness and taste. I dont want to waste their time ringing them if I can get a non biased opinion or 2 on here

Comment

Ok my Brown Turkey works well in terms of growth is growing well, it started as a tiny from Wilko. But it is so common I've looked for others since. It fruited last year 2 figs which were nice. A friend also in Leicestershire has grown a Wilko brown turkey in his garden in the ground, this is considerably bigger than mine and has lots more fruit.

I got a cutting of one from Birmingham, originally this was from Sicily. The lady in Brum has in in the ground totally exposed & it gives lots of fruit and is huge a six years from a cutting.

I've read that one miust keep figs in pots for them to fruit, but by far the best most fruitful ones I've seen have been unrestricted in the garden. I know you are further North than I am, but if you have space I think I would try for opt for on in the garden, even if I had to protect it in situ. The Brown turkey or this Sicilian would be my cghoices as I've seen them in open ground doing very well. I think then (being me) I'd eventually try grafting other cultivars onto the established tree to get a variety of flavours and to see how they go.

Mainly mine are in pots as they are little & from cuttings given, but eventually I'd like to get some of each outside to try.

I don't buy many trees so not the best to advise on the more expensive route !

Most nurserys sell brown turkey quite expensive, I think mine was under a fiver from wilko, but it was smaller. So I'd definatly only buy from a nursery to get a different cultivar (here is hoping the family have noticed the figs on my Christmas wish list !)

Figs root really easily so you could lurk around local gardens & try & scrounge some !

Comment

They may have their roots confined underground via slabs/etc though?

Mind you, back home I've seen a fig tree near my sisters, in a front garden, and it is *huge*. I mean really, really HUGE. i'd guess, 15' high, as near enough same wide... covered in fig embryos. Gonna nip past and take a cutting from that next time I'm up (asking first, of course). What's the best way to take a cutting, in terms of what branch to select?

Comment

tough turkey

i have had a brown turkey fig in a pot for 3 years or so,freebie offer with other fruit trees,last winter it sat outside in -6 and below,in a pot ,for nearly 6 weeks, and then produced 4 very good tasting figs,so as we seem to be in the minus temps again ,i am hoping for at least the same again..

Comment

>They may have their roots confined underground via slabs/etc though?

No the ones I'm talking about don't I asked !

>Gonna nip past and take a cutting from that next time I'm up (asking first, of course). What's the best way to take a cutting, in terms of what branch to select?

Well if the person is willing you could try weighting a branch down to root over winter, that is supposed to be best, but I found buts cut off and planted almost completly in the compost (in pots) did as well if not better than the bits with roots, these were taking April time last year. I have some i took in France in Late October but I won't know how they are until next year, but they look green & healthy. If you have inside but cool facilities it should be OK. Rooting compound & bottom heat can increase your chances.

Comment

ah, thanks butt!

Comment

I have a brown Turkey fig planted outside in a pot against a sunny wall in Glasgow, which has produced ripe figs for several years.

Comment

If you decide what fig to grow being in container or inground I suggest removal of the terminal bud after every 4-5 full leaf.
                    This will force your fig to branch out and produce more figs.

Comment

Hi I have brown turkey figs in and out of my greenhouse, cuttings are really easy, whenever I prune I put bits of stick at the edge of big clay pots and they seem to root as often as not so several fig trees. The best are outside for fruiting once a year but they can fruit three crops in the greenhouse. We live in north Derbyshire and the figs mostly overwinter ok dont know about this year yet though. Figs taste lovely when they are ripe.

Comment

Bought a Brown Turkey this morning, Thanks for all the info !

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X