Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Fig Tree

Help
    Just got a Brown Turkey fig in pot about 24" tall, fig not pot! I was thinking of potting into 12" pot? Which would be the best soil etc to use and would it be best kept in light but unheated outbuilding till later in year? I do have a spare B & Q fleece jacket so could cover with this and put outside.
    Any help would be appreciated,
    Thanks

12 inch pot should be fine, where was it kept before you got it ? I use a multi compost, with sucess so far ! I keep it in my orangry which is abour 10 C most of the time I'd not put it outside just in case of more extreme weather !

Comment

Get John Innes No3 to plant the fig in. At the same time buy some Blood, Fish and Bone to feed the tree.

Comment

Many thanks for info. Not sure where it was kept before, will try and find out.

Comment

I have 2 figs. One in the ground and one potted in John Innes 3. Both are outside all the time and stand even quite hard frosts.
          But as yours is new and you are not sure how it was kept previously it wouldn't hurt to play safe and give it a bit of protection just for this year at least.

Comment

Just out of curiosity as I have been looking at getting a fig tree, just how long will it be before they fuit? 1st year, 2nd year?

Comment

Depends how big they are to start with & What type. My 6 inch Wilko one fruited (a bit)within 4 years, I have cuttings off a friend's sicillian one and that was fruiting incredibily within 6 years & was a massive tree outside & unrestricted. My others were cuttings last year so not fruiting yet

Comment

I have two figs and they had fruit on them when I got them. I think they where 2 and 3 year old. The 3 year old one is a standard.

Comment

fig tree

I had a brunswick baught for farthers day last year in a small pot that was just a 6" stick. I potted it up into a 30L container and now keep it in my cold greenhouse as I live near Aberdeen (cold even in summer). After 'reading figs in a nutshell' booklet, I pruned just below the last bud and four branches grew to almost 10" (I think due to giving weekly feeds of tomato fert). Now all these branches have little fruitlets (about 20 figlets in total). The greenhouse is now insulated and hope the frost does not get in to kill off the fruitlets. I plan on pruning the tips of each branch in April and then any branches that grow back to four leafs in June. The books says this will give maximum fruit production.

Comment

Ok, jst to narrow it down then, say I bought this one
                    Fig 'Brown Turkey' - Thompson & Morgan

Comment

Got my Brown Turkey about 2 years ago and used john Innes No 3, have left it outside for 2 harsh winters now ,south facing , and Ok but no fruit yet.

Comment

Originally posted by mmd622 View Post
                        After 'reading figs in a nutshell' booklet,
                        I just read this. Very informative, and broadly the only difference to the info given here is to use John Innes No2

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X