Have I killed my rhubarb?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Have I killed my rhubarb?

I bought two rhubarb crowns last year, planted them, one grew a stalk or two and then died. The other grew lots of stalks. I didn't pick any and was very good It looked pretty healthy though.

At the start of winter, I gave it a good dollop of manure and waited impatiently for it to grow some stalks this year that I could actually eat.

Well, it hasn't done anything. No new stalks, no new growth...

Have I killed it, do you reckon? Shouldn't it have started growing again, by now?

Hi Beth - I should think it's ok - different rhubarb types get going at different times.

Although the 'early' crown at the Hill has stems very nearly ready to pull (about 8-10"), the crown at the front of the plot isn't showing signs of life yet.

Worry if it's not doing anything in the next couple of weeks!

Comment

Ah, excellent... come to think of it, I think it WAS a later variety...

Excellent! There's still hope that I'll be pulling my own rhubarb this year then... brilliant!

Comment

And yesterday the crown burst into life! And on the same day i got an email saying my new crowns (same variety) have been mailed.

Will need to remember now that Victoria doesn't get going till Mid March... so I don't panic myself next year too. I reckon I'll be getting myself an early variety next year as well as I have been insanely jealous of everyone elses near- pullable rhubarb whilst mine was snoozing.

Comment

Originally posted by bethduckie View Post
          And yesterday the crown burst into life! ..
          Excellent!

Patience is a virtue and all that nonsense!

Comment

Yes... shame that gardening requires so blooming much of it though!

Thanks Hazel

Comment

Beth, glad your rhubarb is growing. Could you please add your location to your profile. At the moment we have no idea where you are, and this really does affect growing times etc.

Comment

Ok, have done. It's Essex, Uk

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X