No announcement yet.

Fruit tree advice please

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Don't think my trees are going to fruit for a few years yet - I did them on a grafting course last year so they're only a year old.
    After looking at your list I don't think they should be too prone to maggots

Pitmaston pineapple - small fruited, russetted and fairly late ripening

and two old yorkshire varieties
    New Bess Pool red fruit but quite late ripening
    Green Balsam green/flushed fruit, late ripening - can't find out much about this one, seen it described as a cooker and a dessert. I think I may have picked it because because it got described as similar to a granny smith for northern areas

I just picked those because they had good descriptions - I never thought about pollination but the gardens over the back have quite a few apple trees so I'm hoping I should be ok.
    Last edited by purplekat; 11-04-2011, 01:20 PM.

Comment

Your varieties don't sound like they're the typical maggot-magnet. You're probably less prone to maggots up North anyway, due to cooler and shorter summers than we get down South.
      With three varieties and others in nearby gardens, I don't think that you'll have any problem with pollination either. Even two varieties that are supposed to flower together don't always manage it in every season, due to each variety having a slightly different response to each growing season and winter.
      For example: normally, James Grieve is by far my first variety to flower, but this year (probably due to a cold, Scottish-like winter similar to its native environment), it will be somewhere in the middle-flowering group. My D'Arcy Spice are also later than their usual flowering companions this year.

Comment

All this talk of maggotty apples is putting me off!!! Maybe I'll stick to the supermarket lol!

Comment

Originally posted by *Lavender* View Post
          All this talk of maggotty apples is putting me off!!! Maybe I'll stick to the supermarket lol!
          You can try codling moth traps.
          You can try planting a maggot-attracting apple as a decoy to protect your other varieties (that's what I do; I have Ellison's Orange and Scrumptious to draw attacks away from my other trees and it works well).
          You can also try home-made traps, using sugared water with some crushed apple and a dash of cider. Put a little into an old plastic bottle, make a few holes in the bottle and see if the moths get trapped like a wasp in a jam jar of water.
          You can also grow varieties that are less prone to pest problems.

I recommend cutting open all home grown apples, just to be safe.

You will also find occasional maggoty apples from the shops.

Comment

Hi Lavender i would suggest to check Blooming Direct they have gorgeous fruit trees, Last year i bought a Cranberry Pilgrim, it didn't cost much, it will be better if you used Blooming Direct voucher code. I hope this helps
            Last edited by Mushrooms; 19-04-2011, 10:05 AM.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
            Working...
            X