kiwi vines

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• kiwi vines

I planted a load of seeds from a kiwi fruit-to my astonishment they have grown but I have no idea if they are male, female etc. Is there a way of telling them apart?Can I plant them outside (Scotland) and how much do these things grow as they have grown about a foot in the last week, amazing looking plants

this might help you: http://www.which.co.uk/documents/pdf...iwi-153962.pdf

I expect Scotland is a bit cold outside - do you have a conservatory?
    All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

I have one outside on a south facing wall. It has come through this last winter alright so must be hardy to a certain extent. Grew to about 12ft last year but does grow bigger I think. Mine is in a container which might restrict its height.

Ian

Comment

Only some kiwi varieties will fruit successfully in the uk as they tend to need long warm summers to ripen. They have attractive foliage and stems though, as well as flowers. Most are pretty hardy plants though so should survive even Scottish winters.

Comment

Kiwi are like grapevines, they're much hardier than people may think - many originated in New Zealand and the climate there is not dissimilar to the UK. They grow here like weeds, (and we had -10 for a week or more over winter and all 6 are again showing good growth already this year) once they're in they can grow into very substantial plants and if left unpruned, they can get to 20 feet in a good season. But they do need sun to ripen.

They do need some serious pruning tho, like grapevines, to help them fruit, usually in February in July, 4 leaves from the point at which the fruit are setting.

Many of the commercially available kiwi in shops are self-fertile (they're much more certain to fruit than the male/female) but there are also some commercial F1 varieties so your seed may not be true to type.

And the only way we have here of knowing whether the plants are male or female is that when you buy them, the tape holding the plant to the training stick is either pink or blue!
          TonyF, Dordogne 24220

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
          Working...
          X