Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any types of lemon - which you can keep outside the whole year - in uk?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any types of lemon - which you can keep outside the whole year - in uk?

I've been wondering, if there are any types of lemons, which can be grown in a greenhouse, then planted outside, and left all year round?

So far, I've only found ones, that need to be planted in a pot, placed outside in summer - brought in winter?

P.S: I live in south west england.

They will always need some form of protection from frost , very cold isnt the problem its frost on the leaves and branches , nearly every country growing citrus have to protect them in some way during the winter,
    some growers use fans blowing air round to protect from frost, some light large fires in the orchards, some spray water onto the trees continuously , home growers wrap them in stray, bubble wrap frost cloth and use lights, some put them in a tent

Threres some interesting info on the citrus growing forum where someone in croatia keeps them out doors all year long and moves them against the house with a drop sheet of polythene in the winter Citrus Growers Forum :: View topic - 50y old lemon trees of unknown variety

My lemons live outside all year long with fairy lights and cloth in the winter, the mandarin trees sort of live...outside all year ( branches die back and re grow every year )

There are grapefruits growing outdoors all year long in the UK

World's Northernmost Fruiting Grapefruit?

The only fully hardy citrus for the UK is the jap. bitter orange, and it cant be eaten and people never stop arguing about wether its actualy citrus or not
    Last edited by starloc; 03-04-2011, 02:56 PM.
    Living off grid and growing my own food in Bulgaria.....

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
    Working...
    X