pear tress-blossoms gone already??

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pear tress-blossoms gone already??

morning all, got a quick question about my dwarf pear tree container grown.

About a fortnight ago all the lovely blossoms opened beautifully,but now all the petals have gone already-blown off i think.

is this correct so soon? will i get any pears?

this is there second year in my garden (first full year-went in too late last june-blossomed but burnt off by the hot sun so got no fruits)

has plenty of healthy green leaves and branches,and the "spiky bits" of the blossoms are still there,which i presume form the bottom of the pears should the fruits grow.

any pear folk with any ideas? :-)

My pear blossom has gone too - but the fruit buds are just showing signs of swelling.
    It's when THEY drop off you need to worry!
    "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Blossom only lasts a couple of weeks. If you're lucky, the flowers will have avoided getting frosted and the bees will have pollinated them. My pears have long since finished flowering and they now have fruitlets about half-inch in diameter. Pollination has been good for my pears, although I am seeing suspicious signs that could be the dreaded fireblight (it enters the blossoms and causes them to blacken and wilt suddenly; it can then spread rapidly down the branches, sometimes killing a tree in a matter of days), presumably due to this being our warmest ever spring, with occasional wetness and high humidity; ideal conditions for fireblight.

If your tree is only a year or two old, it is unlikely to give many fruits as it probably hasn't grow a strong enough root system yet (and the more energy it tries to put into fruit, the less it can grow roots to produce good fruit; a vicious circle). Those that form will probably drop during the summer, or will not reach a worthwhile size. Flavour is often poor on young trees.
      Only after 4-5 years will the tree be getting established and then may start to get into a good fruiting habit.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
      Working...
      X