No announcement yet.

Elderberry tree

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Indeed ! Expensive. My father has black beauty in his front garden (he didn't even know what it was), it looks great against standstone style colours.

My black lace is in a pot at the moment, as I'm unsure where i'm putting it. It's growing extremely fast mind.

Comment

We have a mature elder in the garden, it's pretty big (both wide and tall) and there are numerous smaller ones that have self seeded at other points in the garden. I definitely wouldn't pay for one as they grow so readily, just go for cuttings or if someone has a smallish self propagated one maybe they'd let you dig it up

Comment

Oh gosh...now you've got me interested in the black varieties!!!

A couple of questions though....

"'Black Beauty' needs another S. nigra clone to set fruit as it needs cross pollination"

.....won't the normal elder plants pollinate it???....has anyone got a fruiting black variety with no other black one nearby????

Also..

"Nothing much grows near mine, even mint. The elder seems to kill off everything around it - perhaps simply because it has a very aggressive and large root system."

...REALLY?????

I've googled Black Beauty and Black Lace varieties- both look good!
        "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Nicos - my old man has one in his garden, I've not seen any other elder near him and his has fruit on it. He cuts it down every year, and it grows to 7' odd easily in a year, flowers etc all fine. He says it's a pain in the backside as he's always cutting it down!!

There's every possibility that there is another elder around though, and I've just not seen it

Comment

I think it's cold enough for 'mine' to dieback to the ground each winter- as the place I'm thinking of is very exposed in winter ( -18C last year!).* thinking of starter wood for the open fire for the old wood
            (My other two trees are protected by the house.)

tempted- very tempted...

Comment

Elder wood is not good for the fire - (girl guide training springs to the fore!)
              Whooops - now what are the dogs getting up to?

Comment

Originally posted by Jeanied View Post
                Elder wood is not good for the fire - (girl guide training springs to the fore!)
                ahhh!...I only made it to be a Brownie...I was rubbish at semaphore!!!!

Comment

Just bought an apple tree, will be on the look out for an elderberry though
                  Updated my blog on 13 January

http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra.../blogs/stella/

Comment

Warning on black elders - berries have to be purple and I assume this might mean inside the purple skin as they are poisonous when green. Read this on the Internet - don't die anyone.
                    Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better...Albert Einstein

Blog - @Twotheridge: For The Record - Sowing and Growing with a Virgin Veg Grower: Spring Has Now Sprung...Boing! http://vvgsowingandgrowing2012.blogs....html?spref=tw

Comment

Te he!!!...I've just bought my OH a Black Lace as an early Birthday pressie!! ...how cunning am I ??????

Comment

An afterthought....has anyone made elderflower syrup/champagne with the flowers??? As they are pink , I was wondering if they would produce a different flavoured drink- OR- shouldn't they be used?????

Comment

See RHS Elder Hedge Plants | Sambucus Nigra Hedging | Hedge Nursery www.hedgenursery.co.uk for cheap Sambucus nigra. Usual shaped elderflower leaves in purple with pink flowers and as tough as old boots. I have pruned mine very hard.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X