Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grape Vine advice

Hello all
    We have just taken over an allotment with a massive white grape vine on it. The plot's been empty for around a year, so the vine has gone crazy and escaped from its trellis. Thing is, I know nothing about grapes - other than I love eating them, so any advice on pruning and which parts to cut or keep and perhaps some general advice about whether it needs protecting from the cold? And what preparation for the future I should make (ie to build more climbing aperatus for it)
    I'll post some pics later

NB I have googled it, and looked in various books I have but the information is rather confusing or very limited and on new plantings not established vines.

Thank you all

When it is dormant, January, it can be cut back hard to the main rod(s). Yes it will need something to support it. No you dont need to protect it. Mine survive -19 with no ill effects.

Look forward to seeing pictures of it then I may be able to offer other suggestions.
    Gardening requires a lot of water - most of it in the form of perspiration. Lou Erickson, critic and poet

Comment

my advice same as roitelet's ...cut back hard in January/February.
      It's possible that it may then be held within the trellis? If the main stems have outgrown the trellis then you will need additional support ....i have three vines trained on strong wire over the gravelled bit outside my cellar door ...makes a shady place to sit when the sun is hot
      Mine survive snow and frost ..but they are very very old......
      dont forget you will need to spray with bordeaux mixture in the spring and cut out every third bunch when they start to form....
      lets have some pictures.......
      here's one of mine
      Attached Files
      http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...gs/jardiniere/

Comment

Here's the vine at the moment.

And thanks for all the advice so far
        Attached Files
        Last edited by northepaul; 29-10-2011, 05:21 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the picture ...they look sad this time of year dont they? When you cut back the vine in Jan/Feb it should fit the trellis reasonably well...do you want it to grow tall and give shade as well as grapes or just purely for grapes? If the latter keep it shorter and well supported let it grow sideways eventually you might need extra bits to the trellis on the sides ...not an expert but surrounded by vineyards here! (Cahors Malbec - look out for it ...not a bog standard Cahors ....find the new ones -one that is preferably a 100% Malbec)

Comment

Thank you for the reply, Jardiniere.
            How would I recognise the main rods/stem? Are they obvious?

Comment

they are the woody ones

Comment

Do they fruit on new or old (how old if so) wood?

thanks

Comment

They fruit on new growth, this years. That has to be kept in check as they produce lots.
                  Gardening requires a lot of water - most of it in the form of perspiration. Lou Erickson, critic and poet

Comment

So, every year you need to cut back to the main stem? Just wondering as my MIL has one that's grown wild, but not fruited..

Comment

Thanks, Now I have had a good look under the leaves, I can see what you mean. I'll let you know in Jan/Feb how it went with pics....hoping that it wont bore you!

Comment

I had similar questions about grape vines, and I've found some magnificent videos on youtube that perfectly demonstrate how to take care of grapevines (well, they've worked alright for me!)

Hope they help.
                        Garden Chris

Comment

Thanks Chris

Comment

Originally posted by chrismarks View Post
                            So, every year you need to cut back to the main stem? Just wondering as my MIL has one that's grown wild, but not fruited..
                            Yes, the main stem is the one that gives the vine it's shape and climbs over the support. Cut everything back hard to this as a starting point. Then as the new shoots appear reduce them to the strongest and once the fruit has formed stop the stem two leaves beyond the bunch. All summer you will need to snap off all the unwanted growth frequently. Don't let the vine produce too many bunches as the grapes will be small and the weight will pull the vine away from the support, as mine did this year. I took of at least half the bunches in about July and still have too many! The chooks are doing well out of them. What a waste!

Comment

I have just moved my huge vine from the lottie to home. It was in a tunnel and produced 40-50 bunches of grapes a year, the bunches were thinned a little to ensure a good sixe. All I did with it was prune the new growth at the end of the main rod back by a third and take back all of the spurs to two buds. When the fruit is set I pruned all further growth back to 2-3 leaves past the fruit.

Given good ventilation and a good winter mulch they will need neither feeding, watering or spraying once established. If fruit is less of a necessity they make great screen plants, I have one growing up the side of my hot tub to ensure a modicum of decency when skinny dipping.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X