Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rhubarb in container

Hi everyone,

Im going to grow a crown ive bought in a very large container, but i was wondering if its best to start in an average size container and build up to the very large container so i dont swamp the crown.

Life isnt about surviving the storm.....But learning to dance in the rain.

I need to replemish my rhubarb after my allotment neighbour weed killed it while treating his plot!
    Because rhubarb has such large leaves there is a lot of evapotranspiration and I wouldn't imagine it would be well suited to container growing? If you've done it before, or the container is massive and you don't mind watering every day........go for it!
    I would reckon on using the biggest container you could find!

Mine will be going in the plot (well away from my neighbour!)
    My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
    to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Rhubard is not really a container subject, it needs really fertile soil and loads of moisture - that great gardener, the late Geoffrey Smith always used to say, "rhubarb is the one plant you have to go out and water, - even when its raining"!1

a-a

Comment

and following on from the previous posts, its such a heavy feeder that unless you feed it chemically it wont do very well even in a big pot.

Comment

Blue the first thing to say is you can grow anything in a container but for rhubarb it would have to be a very big container.

I see from one of your other posts you live in rented property and this is your main reason for growing in containers. From what I know of others who have grown rhubarb in containers you wouldn't be able to take it with you when you leave.

Colin
          Potty by name Potty by nature.

By appointment of VeggieChicken Member of the Nutters club.

We hang petty thieves and appoint great ones to public office.

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
          Working...
          X