Regenerating pear tree?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Regenerating pear tree?

I have just bought a house which had a huge old pear tree in the garden. The previous owners cut it down by a lot as it was getting too big. Now the stump (which is forked and about 3 feet high) is starting to re-grow some thin spindly branches. Is there anything I can do to encourage it to grow more strongly, as I would love to restore it to a decent size and for it to fruit again? Apparently the pears tasted lovely, although I don't know what variety they are! Any advice appreciated.

For this winter (after all the leaves have fallen), from each of the previous owners' pruning cuts, I would select two or three strong, nicely-angled and well-spaced shoots to form the new main branches.
    Then remove any other shoots which will compete with the chosen shoots.

By thinning the "witches brooms" of numerous shoots which will have spouted from the old pruning cuts, the tree will have more sap flowing to the remaining few shoots, making them rapidly strengthen and become dominant.

During the following few winters, cut back the new growth by between one-third and one-half to encourage bushy, branched re-growth.

Comment

Thank you FB! I will give this a go and see what happens. Secateurs at the ready...

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
      Working...
      X