Pruning Raspberry Canes

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pruning Raspberry Canes

My mum has a large number of raspberry canes. The area she has them growing was originally a veg plot but she let it overgrow badly. I have it cleared this year but a lot of the raspberry canes were growing at odd angles dependant on how many weeds were growing on top of them. They are very long and tall canes as she has not cut any back for years.

Am I right in thinking that this year's growth should all be cut back to the ground to allow new green growth to shoot up next year? All the canes at the moment are the brown hard canes about 2m tall with some green growth at the top.

Cheers

I cut back canes that have fruited. If they haven't, then leave them.

Comment

I do what zaz does now too - works for both types

Comment

I cut all mine down to the ground in Feb, although I did consider doing it in Sept because I was so fed up of picking raspberries. The freezer's still full of 'em
        All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post
          I cut all mine down to the ground in Feb, although I did consider doing it in Sept because I was so fed up of picking raspberries. The freezer's still full of 'em
          But yours are all autumn fruiting ones; whereas we don't know about the OP's

My freezer is also still full; I am going to use them for festive desserts this year. Nom.

Comment

I think they are a mixture of types. We get raspberries from spring rigth through till now. There's a couple of raspberries left on them but I've left them for any birds.

I think I'm safe enough in cutting them back now to ground level? After I cut them will I spread a good bit of compost over the ground?

Comment

I cut Autumn fruiting canes down to the ground about now. Summer fruiting canes just need the old canes (those that bore fruit already) cutting to ground level, tie in or leave any new green canes. You can prune by a third of height to tidy them up. I normally do this last step in Spring when I weed around them and mulch after giving them a feed.
              Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better...Albert Einstein

Blog - @Twotheridge: For The Record - Sowing and Growing with a Virgin Veg Grower: Spring Has Now Sprung...Boing! http://vvgsowingandgrowing2012.blogs....html?spref=tw

Comment

Originally posted by VirginVegGrower View Post
                I cut Autumn fruiting canes down to the ground about now.
                I don't, because they're full of hibernating ladybirds, and I needs them for the aphids

Comment

Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post
                  I don't, because they're full of hibernating ladybirds, and I needs them for the aphids
                  They have plenty of other hidey holes on the allotment and I want good raspberry yield, so they are gone.
                  Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better...Albert Einstein

Blog - @Twotheridge: For The Record - Sowing and Growing with a Virgin Veg Grower: Spring Has Now Sprung...Boing! http://vvgsowingandgrowing2012.blogs....html?spref=tw

Comment

^ cutting now or in Feb doesn't affect yield either way ... does it? The new fruiting canes don't come up until spring

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X