Help please........Is this dead?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help please........Is this dead?

Kind of forgot about this. Found it down by the shed. Vaguely remember planting it last summer. It's a Merton Thornless BB bush. Is it savable or has it gone to allotment in the sky?

Also, if I have to replace it. Will planting a year old plant this spring produce fruit this summer?

Attached Files
    Last edited by robfosters; 24-01-2012, 04:58 PM.

I think its just still in dormancy. Everything looks pretty dead in the winter. I would think it will come back just fine
    http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/jamiesjourney

Please give blood and if possible please give bone marrow.

SAVE LIVES TODAY

Subscriber to the mojo mailing list

Comment

If something has green leaves- it's rarely dead

Looks perfectly saveable to me- blackberries do go fairly well dormant in winter, though they don't lose all their leaves. Could probably do with a prune, and some of the stems do look a bit dry and deceased looking.
      My spiffy new lottie blog

Comment

Should I prune off the stems that are leafless?

I planted it last year. I don't see how it's nearly big enough to fruit this year.

Comment

if you want to check if something is alive or not, get a knive and scrape away the top layer of bark, if it is green underneath its alive but if its not its dead.

Comment

Blackberries fruit on the previous years growth, if you prune last years growth you won't get any fruit this year.
            My blog - http://carol-allotmentheaven.blogspot.com/

Comment

I'd just leave it alone for a bit and see what develops. Its early days for most plants to be shooting. You have leaves, that's a bonus and a sure sign of life. Don't cut anything off yet. Give it a chance!

Comment

Originally posted by robfosters View Post
                I don't see how it's nearly big enough to fruit this year.
                Me neither, but then I don't grow in pots.

My blackberries are 5ft wide, each, in open ground (lotty)
                All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

I'll leave it then.

I will probably buy another anyway just in case. Can never have too many blackberries.

Comment

I do not think you got the most important message: you don't grow them in a pot.

Comment

Why not? I've heard of loads of people grow them in pots.

Comment

Originally posted by robfosters View Post
                        Why not? I've heard of loads of people grow them in pots.
                        Well. One of my old childhood friends mother: if the only argument you can come up with is 'why not' that's something you surely do not do.

Of course, you can stuff them in there. What for, is another question.

Comment

Rob,

No its not dead and yes you can grow them in a container if you do it correctly.

First your container just is not big enough a blackberry is a big plant with a strong root system. I had to make a container for mine dims 2ft x 2ft by 2ft 6" deep, even then you will have to feed it. I use high nitrogen at the begining of the season and change to high potash when the fruit forms. Watering can also be an issue so a good mulch on the surface of the compost is a must.

If you did not get any fruit last year then I would not prune it except for obvious dead wood. Repot it and in early spring give it a good feed, train this years runners up supports as they will provide next years fruit.

Daylily, as to why because not everyone has a lottie or even a garden therefore makedo and mend becomes the order of the day.

Colin.
                          Attached Files
                          Potty by name Potty by nature.

By appointment of VeggieChicken Member of the Nutters club.

We hang petty thieves and appoint great ones to public office.

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

Well, myself is more likely to dig a trowel size place next to the fence and sorted.

Comment

I would love to see you try in my back, the concrete is 6" thick so bring your jack hammer

Colin
                              Potty by name Potty by nature.

By appointment of VeggieChicken Member of the Nutters club.

We hang petty thieves and appoint great ones to public office.

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X