In a bit of a pickle.

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In a bit of a pickle.

I tried to sort my fruit cage out today and some of the bushes are rather wild, the thing is, I'm not totally sure what's what

Is there anything that I'll harm by giving a bit of a winter haircut? Lots of them have new buds on and I'm worried if I should be pruning them or not.
    the fates lead him who will;him who won't they drag.

Happiness is not having what you want,but wanting what you have.xx

I don't know the answer Di but I should think that if you leave some of the buds on and just "tidy it up a bit" for now, you should be able to prune it more radically next year.
    A garden is a lovesome thing, God wot! (Thomas Edward Brown)

Comment

There's one in particular that's almost poking out of the roof. I think it could be a raspberry but don't know if Summer or Autmn fruiting.

The other really wild one, I think is gooseberry.

Note to self...keep a diary and room plan of what fruits what and when.

Comment

The pruning really depends on what you've actually got in there. A tall thin can is likely to be a rasp and if it's autumn fruiting it should be cut back to a few inches above ground. A lot of gooseberries have nasty thorns and the buds of blackcurrants smell of....blackcurrants. Try to find out what you've got and prune accordingly. Having said that, a general trim to remove crossing branches, etc and allow more light and air in won't do any harm.

Comment

A general trim it's to be then, Thanks, SC.

Comment

If you can see any dead wood (as opposed to new red coloured stems etc) I would take that out. If something is in the way - or in your case, pulling the fruit cage roof off - I would cut it back anyway.

Sorry its not much help!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
            Working...
            X