Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mystery Fruit Bush!???...ID required please...

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mystery Fruit Bush!???...ID required please...

Hello All...

Can you assist!?...I recently acquired a mystery fruit bush (well it had traces of old netting around it so I am assuming that it once was a cared for fruit bush - however being that my forte (for what its worth) lies in the veg department, I am at a complete loss as to what it is...

No spines, spherical buds...etc...

Any ideas???

Thanking you all in advance!!! - I will post it in the veg section too to see if anyone there has an incling!...

Simon
    Attached Files

Mystery Fruit Bush?! (posted in fruit section - but someone here might know too!)

Hello All...

Can you assist!?...I recently acquired a mystery fruit bush (well it had traces of old netting around it so I am assuming that it once was a cared for fruit bush - however being that my forte (for what its worth) lies in the veg department, I am at a complete loss as to what it is...

No spines, spherical buds...etc...

Any ideas???

Thanking you all in advance!!! - I will post it in the veg section too to see if anyone there has an incling!...

Simon
    Attached Files

Comment

the buds seem rather unusual, im not sure whether it is a fruit tree?

Comment

Blackcurrant? What does it smell of when you rub the buds?

Comment

My guess is quince.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt94 View Post
            the buds seem rather unusual, im not sure whether it is a fruit tree?
            it was in a line with 2 others of the same and flanked by (I think) currant bushes - on a disused/abandoned allotment plot - and as I said it had fruit netting over it - so I reckon it must be something...I may just set up a seat and wait for it to do something else!...

S!

Comment

I've never seen anything with such big fat buds, but it does look healthy. Keep us informed please. Cheers, Tony.
              Semper in Excrementem Altitvdo Solvs Varivs.

Comment

As I said on the other thread, I'm going with blackcurrant but, perhaps, with Big Bud!

Comment

the buds remind me of peony buds!

Comment

Think I agree with VC. Blackcurrant with big bud mite. Have you tried rubbing one off and looking inside? Although the buds are rosy pink....hmmm
                    Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better...Albert Einstein

Blog - @Twotheridge: For The Record - Sowing and Growing with a Virgin Veg Grower: Spring Has Now Sprung...Boing! http://vvgsowingandgrowing2012.blogs....html?spref=tw

Comment

The colour of the buds look like quince flower buds - they usually show like that before the leaves arrive.

Comment

Looks like a currant. I think maybe as VC says, a black currant with big bud mite maybe. Have you tried rubbing it, smelling it?
                        Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better...Albert Einstein

Blog - @Twotheridge: For The Record - Sowing and Growing with a Virgin Veg Grower: Spring Has Now Sprung...Boing! http://vvgsowingandgrowing2012.blogs....html?spref=tw

Comment

Ordinary quince RL or Quince Japonica, Chaenomeles? I have both but I've not seen my tree quince flower yet. Only purchased last year.

Comment

Just inspected my fruit bushes - very few buds yet, Japonica Quince has spines, ordinary quince is spindly branches, no real buds yet.
                            No real buds yet on the redcurrant or whitecurrant and they make little clusters of buds rather than individual fat buds.
                            However, the blackcurrants do have pinkish buds, though they are pointed, not round (I'm pleased to say). I'm still sticking with my original suggestion!

Comment

See the other thread for the latest news!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X