Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DIY raised grow box

Hi,

I'm new to all this. Only ever grown watercress on a tissue at school.
    I'm looking to build a grow box and as I've only got a back yard I'm going to raise it off the ground.
    I'm wondering if I'd need to line the box with anything before i put the soil in and what soil and compost will i need to grow Strawberries and Framberries?

Thank you

J

Hi Jason and welcome

I use a mix of multi-purpose compost and top soil to fill raised beds - it has served me well for several years. As to lining, my instinct would be to line the sides with black plastic (to aid water retention/warmth) but not along the base.
    aka
    Suzie

Comment

Construct your box from TREATED timber. line with expanded polystyrene then thick plastic. Drill a hole vertically down at each end, push fit a short length of plastic tubing and slap on loads of bathroom sealant to ensure any water exiting exits down to the ground and not horizontally along the 'interface'.

If you want you can make it deep enough to take a electrical heater cable and thermostat to get your seeds off to an early start and constuct a cover from clear plastic sheet from Wickes (or similar).

Grow lights will be the next chapter ! Cheers, Tony.
      Semper in Excrementem Altitvdo Solvs Varivs.

Comment

Hi,

Thanks for the replies.
        I'm glad that drilling a hole was mentioned because i was going to do just that.
        I was going have the box tilted forward and to the right, as i look at it, by about an inch, or so, with a hole drilled in that corner.
        With the lining i was thinking of using pond liner or something similar (cheaper) and with me lining the box i was hoping i could get away with using sheet ply wood or chip board for the base, would this be ok?

Thanks

Comment

Avoid chipboard (it will turn to pulp), but any exterior sheet materials should be fine if there is a liner between it and the soil

Comment

Hi do you mean something like my pea containers?

Colin
            Attached Files
            Potty by name Potty by nature.

By appointment of VeggieChicken Member of the Nutters club.

We hang petty thieves and appoint great ones to public office.

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

I'm refraining from comment again!

Comment

Damn didn't know you were lurking and your getting quicker Good afternoon VC.

Colin

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

I've just come in from a walk in the woods - its just your bad timing! A very good afternoon to you too, (Chamber) Potty

Comment

Originally posted by Potstubsdustbins View Post
                    Hi do you mean something like my pea containers?

Colin
                    Yes that's very similar to what i had in mind.

Comment

Jason, I built those boxes out off pressure treated timber 7 years ago according to my diary. That pic was taken summer last year and as you can see they are still perfectly good. I stapled plastic damp proof membrane to the inside and there are 6 1" holes drilled in the bottom of each one for drainage.

Hope this helps Colin

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
                        I've just come in from a walk in the woods - its just your bad timing! A very good afternoon to you too, (Chamber) Potty
                        Open your eyes girl thats a white hard hat you see on my head not a chamber potty

Colin

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

I thought it was leaking with those yellow streams.... (Quiet here tonight!)

Comment

Tis a little quite may liven up later.

Those yellow streams are Auntie Flo's arras wot she shot at me months ago, can't get the bladdy things unstuck.

Colin

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

Then they should be red ......

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X