Strawberry again.

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strawberry again.

I lost some of strawberry plants this winter I believe to root rot so I am looking for a new vareity.

I have no idea what plants I have at the moment they were bought years ago and the name is lost in time.

So in the spirit of try something new I am looking for recommendations for a large summer fruiting vareity all ideas welcome.

Thanks Colin
    Potty by name Potty by nature.

By appointment of VeggieChicken Member of the Nutters club.

We hang petty thieves and appoint great ones to public office.

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

If you are losing strawberries to root/crown rot, it may well be that either your soil is too heavy/badly drained, or your soil has grown strawberries for too long and is infested with disease or simply depleted of the nutrients which that particular plant needs (that's why veg have crop rotation; to avoid build-up of disease or depletion of nutrients).

I suggest looking at whether your soil needs better drainage, or whether you can start a new strawberry bed elsewhere.

If you must grow in the same location, dig out the entire bed to at least 1ft depth and replace with fresh, disease-free soil. Raise the soil level if heavy/saturated soil is a problem.

Comment

FB thanks for you concern I think your right with the compost having grown strawberries for two long, must be ten years now. Needless to say the two pots that were affected have already been emptied and will be refilled when I decide what cultivar to use.

Colin

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

I'm a fan of Christine and Pegasus as they are very vigorous (lots of fruit and lots of runners) so they suit my less-than-perfect soil.
        They are also on the sweeter side, which makes them palatable to almost anyone without the need for sugar.

The blackbirds vote for Christine too; very early to ripen. Pegasus is later to ripen and has a slightly unusual smooth texture when bitten into, rather than a slightly crunchy texture. It takes you by surprise the first time you eat a Pegasus.

Comment

FB now there's a thought I can always tell SWMBO they have named a strawberry after her. Shall look into Christine.

Thanks Colin

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

My favourites on the plot are Honeyone which are early, VERY productive and lovely and sweet. I was picking lbs every day last summer and still have some frozen as well as loads of jam, curds, jellies, vodka and bottled ones. We only have 24 plants of them and I coudn't believe how good they were (12 plants were 2 year old and the others 3). Have replaced the older ones for this year so will get less of them this year but have other later varieties (which I don't like quite as much) to compensate. I seem to remember FB doesn't like them as finds them a bit tender (sorry if I've mixed people up) but I've never lost one yet and they don't get special treatment here

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Alison

Yes, I don't like Honeoye.
              They don't cope well with light soil or low rainfall.
              I suspect that you get about three times the rainfall that I get, so that's probably why they perform much better for you than me; I have trouble keeping them alive, let alone getting them to do any good.

Christine, Pegasus and Symphony have all coped very well though, even with total neglect. Their extra vigour really helps when the conditions aren't ideal.

Comment

I'd recommend pegasus too - though I also recommend honeoye Both work well for me.

Comment

Thanks for all your tips.

I could not resist Christine so I have ordered from Dobies, can't wait to see SWMBO's face when I show them to her. Maybe even some brownie points in this one.

Thanks again Colin

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X