Victoria Plum - I must prune it now!!

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Victoria Plum - I must prune it now!!

Well established tree (15 years old) needs a 3" dia branch removing to make room for a new beehive - it can't be delayed as the hive has to be sited before the first swarm (which last year was April 11)

Will painting the wound with bitumen paint help defend against the dreaded silverleaf - or any other suggestion?

Richard
    Last edited by richardbees; 28-02-2012, 07:44 PM.

Plums should very soon be starting to swell their buds. Some may already be doing so.
    The trees are less at risk from silverleaf when their sap is flowing - which should be any time now.

I would delay the pruning as long as possible, but I would promptly paint such a large wound with a wound sealant such as Arbrex Heal and Seal on such a susceptible variety; Victoria can very quickly and easily succumb to silverleaf.

To be extra cautious, you might want to make sure your saw is wiped with meths or something similar before sawing the branch - and make the neatest possible cut; rough edges will delay healing.

Comment

Thanks for advice......I'll blowtorch the saw.

Also, another forum suggested leaving as long a stump as feasible then sawing that off in full leaf growth.

I'll be amputating this pm!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
      Working...
      X