Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Prepping Fruit Bed Queries

Hey,

I have a couple of questions regarding fruit bushes/plants and planting them out once arrived on order. My Plot is far from being ready to plant in, the last tenant i dont think had a idea what the hell they was doing and i had everything from raspberries/blackberries/gooseberries/bindweed/junk spread everywhere was not possible to even have 1 small patch free to plant any vegetables.

The fruit bushes/plants that were there was overgrown, never pruned and they lack fruit quantity and the taste of fruit was not nice. So i cut these back and dug them out and i will be purchasing fresh Bushes/plants and i will be planting them round the border of 1 side of plot with support trellis/canes/wiring and cultivating them.

1) What must i do when planting the bushes/plants out in order for them to succeed?
    2) What soil conditioners should i use and how should i use it when planting them out?

Fruits in question are gooseberries, blackberries, raspberries, blackcurrants, redcurrants, rhubard, strawberries are definate. Possibly also Tayberry, Loganberry and Grapes.

I know theres a big variety of fruit but i love fruit :P Blueberries ill have in pots.

I was thinking possible horsemanure worked into the soil in trench where i will be planting them, give a good watering and place in there trench. Once planted horsemanure round the base of the bush/plant aswell, is this to much?

Thanks
    Regards
    Ben

It is possible that the fruit might have been better on the previous plants if they had been cared for.

I would suggest that before planting you dig-in lots of manure or compost. One part manure/compost for one part topsoil.
    If you're feeling flush with cash you could also use a light sprinkling of fish, blood and bone fertiliser. This is best if covered by a mulch or dug into the top few inches of soil as it tends to go mouldy or get blown away if applied to the surface of the soil.
    Planting into pure compost or pure manure can be a bit rich for some plants and instead of giving nutrients to the plants, the sheer strength of the nutrients actually draws water out of the plants, resulting in browning at the edges of the leaves and die-back (known as fertiliser scorch). Mulches are unlikely to cause this "scorch" problem.

Then in late winter each year, give a good mulch of compost or manure - or give a lighter mulch in late winter and a second lighter mulch after heavy rains in mid-summer.
    Last edited by FB.; 09-03-2012, 10:17 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the advice ill get straight on with it, since i will only be planting them once if the blood/fish stuff isnt to expensive ill give it a shot.
      Soil tbh seems very decent anyway for a plot that hasnt been worked on, you dig it out and its lovely nice and soft and really easy to work with which is making my life easier .

Thanks for advice.
      Regards
      Ben

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
      Working...
      X