Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Young Plum tree fruit question

Hi,
    I have a young plum tree on a SJ A rootstock (from Dobies who don't say how old they are), it's been in the ground a year and is absolutely covered in blossom at the moment - I'm guessing I shouldn't really let it fruit this year as it's still quite small and I don't want it to exhaust itself but at what point do I stop it?

I want to leave the blossom on for the bees and insects really

I would leave the blossom on. It won't all set anyway. Then you can thin the plums when/if they form.

Comment

Can I have some of your blossom please. There's nothing on my trees yet!

Comment

Nor on mine VC

Comment

Originally posted by rustylady View Post
          Nor on mine VC
          That's a relief, RL!
          Does anyone else have Plum blossom yet?

Comment

Nope and I'm in the same county.
            sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
            --------------------------------------------------------------------
            Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
            -------------------------------------------------------------------
            Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
            -----------------------------------------------------------
            KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

None on mine. I've just sprayed mine with an anti fungus spray. With a plum moth pheromone trap in late May I'm determined to have more 'jammable' fruit this year. Cheers, Tony.
              Semper in Excrementem Altitvdo Solvs Varivs.

Comment

It's a Lizzie plum which is supposed to be really early (Dobies said it sometimes flowers at the end of Jan!) and it's supposed to ripen early July, I'm hoping one or two will ripen so I can have a try - I'll try and take a pic tomorrow, it's not quite out yet but very close

Comment

Its an Asian type plum (whatever that means) Plum Lizzie - Plum Trees - Fruit Trees - Fruit - Garden - Dobies of Devon
                  Sounds interesting - especially the early fruiting bit! Let us know what you think of it please.

Comment

The blossom is very nearly out on the cherry plum at Ryton - I noticed 2 weeks ago so it may well be already out.

Comment

It looks and sounds lovely, with frost resistant blossom thrown in.
                      sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
                      --------------------------------------------------------------------
                      Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
                      -------------------------------------------------------------------
                      Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
                      -----------------------------------------------------------
                      KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

Purplekat - what have you done? Blackmoors' have reduced the price of their Lizzie's to £15 and I'm very tempted!! Plum Lizzie Mail Order From Blackmoor Nurseries Blackmoor Nurseries

Comment

None on mine either - now I've seen the Plum Lizzie reduced at Blackmoors, I think I want one as well....
                          Forbidden Fruits make many Jams.

Comment

Blossom is a big drain on the tree's energy, since flowers consume energy and resources but gather no energy-producing sunlight in return.
                            You may want to help the insects, but that help is at the expense of the resources of the tree supplying the pollen and nectar.
                            To conserve its energy, it would have been better to prune it as the buds were beginning to show signs of life.

As for what to do now......you may as well just thin the fruits in May/June to what you think it can carry.

There is evidence that biennial bearing is actually influenced by the amount of pollination (i.e the number of flowers fertilised and with hormonal changes as a result of that fertilisation) and that fruit bud initiation for the following season is "locked-in" soon after flowering and long before any fruit thinning occurs.

Comment

What do you know about these "Asian" plums FB? I've never heard of them before. Any hints?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X