Why grow currants??

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by roitelet View Post
    Easy to propogate too. Just push some sticks in the ground and hey presto new bushes!
    Next to rasps blackcurrents are my favourites. Don't try eating them raw though! Blackcurrent pie must be the best thing (maybe even better than rasps!).

I have red and blackcurrents, and they were planted last year. The instructions said to cut each stem back to one third, so I did. Pushed all the offshoots into the soil and now have about 20 more (small!) plants.
    If the river hasn't reached the top of your step, DON'T PANIC!

Comment

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
      Its no good waxing lyrical about them if you don't grow them - start now - go out and grab yourself some bushes!
      I waxed some lyrics once, but then I had a song full of shiny lyrics which didn't fit the sombre nature of the song!

Sadly I just don't have any room left for berry bushes or, no doubt, my new found obsession would extend to them too.
      Tried and Tested...but the results are inconclusive

Honorary member of the nutters club, by appointment of VeggieChicken

Comment

I think red currants are OK eaten fresh. They can taste a bit sour if they don't get enough sun...

White and pink currants are some of the best fruit available, and very easy to grow. They taste sweeter then red currants. My kids simply love them.

Black currants are an acquired taste, I adore them fresh

I've planted a "green/transparant" black currant this year, named "Ojeblanc", which should have a softer flavour than other black currants

Comment

ok, you've convinced me....
          just planted a blackcurrant and a redcurrant in the garden!!LOL

Comment

I wasn't going to bother with white current,
            But might have to now pop out and get one.

I got a red one last week, and put it in to a pot and left it in the tunnel.
            Wow it grows fast

Comment

Damn it, now I have to find space for the redcurrant bush that I just acquired!

Comment

Originally posted by Pa Snips View Post
                Damn it, now I have to find space for the redcurrant bush that I just acquired!
                You're so easily persuaded!!

Comment

I think we're all guilty

Comment

I think you've been sending me subliminal messages in my dreams...there was a vegetarian chicken with a welsh accent saying "Buy redcurrants...buuuy redcurrants".

Comment

As long as that's all I've done in your dreams.....

Comment

Blackcurrant bush £1 two years ago brought 2. None 1st year :O( Not many last year. This year we've got jam, vodka, pies and i've still got loads of them. Gave them a compost heap mulch in the spring and left them to it. Great purchase. They're having a haircut and feed as a thankyou later in the year.
                        Redcurrant birds got every single last one should have netted them earlier. Still theres always next year.
                        As for the blueberries they're off to a purpose built naughty corner one more year to buck up their ideas or there out.
                        Last edited by smallfrog; 10-08-2013, 02:44 PM.
                        Growing vegetables and flowers to share.
                        www.takeoneseed.wordpress.com

Comment

[QUOTE=smallfrog;1158631]Blackcurrant bush £1 two years ago brought 2. None 1st year :O( Not many last year. This year we've got jam, vodka, pies and i've still got loads of them. Gave them a compost heap mulch in the spring and left them to it. Great purchase. They're having a haircut and feed as a thankyou later in the year.
                          Redcurrant birds got every single last one should have netted them earlier. Still theres always next year.
                          As for the blueberries they're off to a purpose built naughty corner one more year to buck up their ideas or there out..quote
                          i bought 2 blackcurrants from a pound shop,now have 15 bushes and loads of ice cream,mousse,tarts,etc in the freezer,i love that sharp taste..
                          Last edited by BUFFS; 10-08-2013, 04:54 PM.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X