Suttons fruit tree offer

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suttons fruit tree offer

Fruit Tree Lucky Dip - Fruit Trees - Fruit - Gardening - Suttons Seeds and Plants

A tenner each, or 7.99 if you use the code LUCKYSUT. Delivery's a fiver.

Worth it? Did they run this promotion last year? I'm dithering.

For me no. If I bought a fruit tree I would like to be able to pick what sort. I definitely wouldn't want nuts

Comment

I'm appalled that a supposedly reputable company should offer such a ridiculous idea.

They give no consideration to suitability to your local soil, climate, and diseases.

What if I need canker resistance..........mildew resistance?
      What if I need tolerance of heavy soil.....or drought.....or chalky soil?

It could be a big waste of money.

I strongly recommend running as far as possible from such a ridculous idea.

Comment

That's true! No wonder they've had to send out a second email about something that was going to "sell out quickly".

I'm blessed with good soil so I think anything they sell would grow here. I was more concerned about getting trees that hadn't sold for good reason. But it does look dodgy, so I shall stay away. Thanks

Comment

Wow I'm up for it 7.99 for a fruit tree.It's got to be cheaper than the fruit at the supermarket.

Comment

Originally posted by greencat View Post
            Wow I'm up for it 7.99 for a fruit tree.It's got to be cheaper than the fruit at the supermarket.
            That's assuming that it gets as big (or stays as small) as you want, and assuming that it has enough resistance to the diseases and pests in your area to allow it to live a long and productive life.

You won't even know the rootstock in advance, so will it be a dwarf best suited for growing in a pot, or will it be a giant that's so fast growing it'll be like Jack and the Beanstalk?

Will it be an eater, a cooker, or cider?
            Will the fruit ripen in your local climate?
            Golden Delicious for Scotland?
            Cox's for Cornwall?

Still, it could be fun to do a blog to update as each one collapses under the pressure of pests, diseases and less-than-ideal soil - only to be told by the company that "well, you're supposed to grow it in 2ft of fertile loam and spray it to keep it healthy".

It's a lucky dip as to what you get, whether you'll like the fruit and that will further be a lucky dip as to whether it is what you really need to suit your conditions.
            Last edited by FB.; 22-04-2012, 02:49 PM.

Comment

Well, here's what looks like their full stock list, so I'd guess that a lucky dip would come from that:

Top Quality Fruit Trees Direct to Your Door - Suttons Seeds and Plants

Comment

In the interest of science (or is that probability?), I have just ordered one.

I realise that buying this plant encourages stupid deals such as this, but should I get anything sub-standard than I will be very vocal with my complaint. Luckily I have 3 houses (parents, brother and my own) which are spread over the country with varying soil and temperature conditions so I'm able to maximise the chance I can grow whatever they send.

I'll let you know what I get.

Comment

I've narrowed down the probable fruit trees given that it is bare-root only.
                  1. Amelanchier (Canadensis) Prince William [rootstock unknown - description upto 9m in height]
                  2. Apple Cooking Bramley (Clone 20) [rootstock unknown - problem on their website showing full description]
                  3. Apple Redlove Era [rootstock unknown]
                  4. Apple Redlove Sirena [M9 rootstock]
                  5. Cherry Summer Sun [Colt rootstock]
                  6. Damson Merryweather [rootstock unknown - problem on their website showing full description]
                  7. Pear Conference [rootstock unknown - problem on their website showing full description]
                  8. Plum Marjorie's Seedling (Prunus domestica) [rootstock unknown - problem on their website showing full description]

I think if I get either of the Redlove apples, the Cherry or the pear than I'll keep it for myself, the others will be shipped off to family

Comment

To followup on the above I've had confirmation from Sutton's of the rootstocks.

1.Amelanchier (Canadensis) Prince William [ungrafted]
                    2.Apple Cooking Bramley (Clone 20) [M26 rootstock]
                    3.Apple Redlove Era [M6 rootstock]
                    4.Apple Redlove Sirena [M9 rootstock]
                    5.Cherry Summer Sun [Colt rootstock]
                    6.Damson Merryweather [St Julien A rootstock]
                    7.Pear Conference [ Quince A rootstock]
                    8.Plum Marjorie's Seedling (Prunus domestica) [St Julien A rootstock]

But also confirmation that it can include nut trees too.
                    Last edited by DuncanM; 26-04-2012, 03:26 PM.

Comment

And the results are in...

1 large walnut Franquette tree (approx 2 metres in height) with all buds/branches pruned off?
                      1 dwarf apple tree (can't remember name) but it's not one of those listed above.

Comment

FYI The apple is a Malini fresco: Lubera® fruitful gardening: All Products

And has been potted up and now sits on my patio

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X