pear mystery

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pear mystery

I moved a then young old pear tree from manchester to Oxfordshire in December 2010, into my front garden, south facing. Moved from ground to a large vase.

Spring 2011 was still in the vase, produced beautiful flowers, and eventually a few very small fruits.

January 2012 I moved it from vase to ground, I made sure to have plenty of good compost and green kitchen waste where I planted it. I also changed location by several meters, same amoint of illumination.
    Spring 2012 it has produced zero flowers but plenty of leaves. It looks very healthy but no flowers or fruits. Other pear trees in the area gave flowers and now small fruits.
    There are no signs of it giving us any fruits.

What's going on?

Thanks,

Alberto

Planting it in an open ground allowed the roots to spread and put on new growth rather than it being stressed in a container where it will more likely flower. It should flower next year.
    Mark

Vegetable Kingdom blog

Comment

Maybe too much Nitrogen ( leaves)and Phosphorus (roots)and not enough Potassium( flowers/fruit)in the soil????

Or..perhaps it had concentrated on root growth now it's had a chance to spread out???

Just a couple of thoughts from someone who doesn't know much at all about fruit trees!
      "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Originally posted by Capsid View Post
        Planting it in an open ground allowed the roots to spread and put on new growth rather than it being stressed in a container where it will more likely flower. It should flower next year.
        Sounds reasonable. We will see...

Comment

Changes in growing conditions will affect whether a plant grows or fruits.

Happy (and young - including from grafts and cuttings) plants just grow like mad and don't fruit.

Stressed plants (and, of course, full-grown/long-established plants) will flower and fruit.

When I plant a baby fruit tree, if it produces heavy blossom and little in the way of new shoots I know that something is wrong (usually crown rot gradually killing the roots due to many nurseries having contaminated stock but which is held quiescent by chemicals while still in the nursery, until spraying is stopped).

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
          Working...
          X