Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which Apricot Tree?

Hi guys,

I'm in a twist about which Apricot Tree to buy.
    There's this: Dwarf Aprigold® Blackmoor Nurseries
    and then,
    There's this: Apricot Tomcot tree, mail order apricot tomcot tree, order apricot trees online Blackmoor Nurseries

I was going to plant it in a large container, so naturally the Krimsk-1 rootstock of the Tomcot is immensely appealing, along with the "This variety would be our choice for apricots" endorsement from Blackmoors. Yet, it costs £24.50: not entirely a major factor, but worth considering.

The Aprigold variety is something I've heard regularly, and it seems to be viewed upon favourably too: "Large crops of full size fruits are carried on this amazing tree". Also, it's rootstock states "Dwarf", not a particularly accurate description. It is, however, as a 1 year maiden, only £15, as I stated earlier, not a major factor, but worth considering.

Does anyone have these varieties, or heard anything of them?
    If I'm honest, I'm leaning towards Tomcot, but that's just from the Blackmoors website as opposed to any honest advice I've received, and the grapevine always throws up some fantastic stories and advice.

It would receive all the necessary sunlight and could even be stored in a greenhouse for the winter months, and some of the summer months if necessary.

Thanks everyone,
    GC
    Garden Chris

I think apricots are a gamble in much of the UK, but worth a try all the same.

There is no need to store it in a greenhouse. Apricots are very hardy. The problems for growing apricots in the UK are not winter cold, but uncertain spring weather and ... uncertain summer weather.

I have not heard of Aprigold, but we had some nice Tomcots this year ... the tree is against a south-facing brick wall. I think wall-training is likely to give you better results than growing it in a patio container, because of the beneficial microclimate.

Comment

I believe Tomcot is one of the new late flowering varieties that are more suited to the UK. I am tempted to try one in my garden, although I'm not convinced it will do well as it can be a bit windy.

Comment

Apricots taste crap anyway, get a peach instead.

Comment

As I understand it Aprigold is a very slow growing and small tree, whereas Tomcot is probably more of a proper tree. If you think it will be fine outside then a proper tree is probably a good bet. I got an Aprogold last winter because it is very unlikely to be able to set any fruit unless it is well protected (in a greenhouse) when (if?) it flowers around these parts. Hopefully it will remain small enough for me to be able to move it into the greenhouse early in the year to protect the flowers and help the friut set, although only time will tell.

Comment

well,dod,we are going to get an apricot in the spring, as we bought a peach tree a few years ago and this year we had 13 lovely fruit,we had to hand pollinate,but a childs paintbrush set from a cheap shop and gently dust each bloom each day for a week,its not slave labour,and i have a new hothouse to put it in,unheated but protected from our constant wet spell(about 2 - 2.1/2 years now.)should stop some year soon....

Comment

Originally posted by BUFFS View Post
              well,dod,we are going to get an apricot in the spring, as we bought a peach tree a few years ago and this year we had 13 lovely fruit,we had to hand pollinate,but a childs paintbrush set from a cheap shop and gently dust each bloom each day for a week,its not slave labour,and i have a new hothouse to put it in,unheated but protected from our constant wet spell(about 2 - 2.1/2 years now.)should stop some year soon....
              Yeah, I'm going to hand pollinate at least half of the blossom on my fruit trees from now on. Bees and the weather are proving unreliable.

Comment

OH reckons that watching me hand pollinate the peaches was like someone doing those old dot to dot drawings,no commments when we picked then though,the taste is amazing,makes the shop ones seem to have no taste.....

Comment

If the bees prove unreliable, you should create an environment in which thrive bumble bees. They fly in colder and wetter conditions... Make some nesting spots for them...

Comment

Originally posted by sugar View Post
                    If the bees prove unreliable, you should create an environment in which thrive bumble bees. They fly in colder and wetter conditions... Make some nesting spots for them...
                    Oh yeah, they'll just magically appear despite numbers decreasing everywhere else. Hoverflies and some beetles pollinate fruit too. But like I say, next time I'm not putting so much faith in them.

Comment

Originally posted by Marcher View Post
                      Oh yeah, they'll just magically appear despite numbers decreasing everywhere else. Hoverflies and some beetles pollinate fruit too. But like I say, next time I'm not putting so much faith in them.
                      I do have plenty of them in my garden (several species). But I create an environment they like, don't use chemicals, have plenty of nectar plants (almost) all year round,...

Comment

Originally posted by sugar View Post
                        I do have plenty of them in my garden (several species). But I create an environment they like, don't use chemicals, have plenty of nectar plants (almost) all year round,...
                        I have a lot of nectar-rich plants as well, rarely use chemicals (only occasional fertiliser a couple of times a year) and most of the gardens around me do pretty much the same thing. There was a wasp nest in the hedge until last year, it didn't survive last winter. There's still those wasps / bees that dwell alone in little holes they dig in sand. I forget what they're called but there's quite a lot of the.

Comment

we have used no chemicals since we moved here about 12yrs ago and we seem blessed with bumble bees,there is plenty of hidey holes for them to overwinter in and early flowering plants to give them a snack,we havent seen any shortage of bees locally,later in the year our lavender border is smothered in bees,have counted over 40 in a 8ft row of plants,and i put all the big house spiders into the g/house and never have to worry about aphids etc,they just get eaten,so the spiders earn their keep,OH doesnt go much on the big ones that seem to like staying on the underside of the peppers leaves,when you lift them,you can feel the pressure of them pushing with their other legs,been waiting for one to say "ill be back",then i will leave them alone....

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X