Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fruit trees in pots.

Hi,
    I have an reasonably sized garden but already have probably too many fruit trees growing in it. However I would love to have a couple of cherry trees as well [my last terroritorial demand lol]. Because of space I have no choice but to consider growing these in large pots. I have wisely or unwisely decided to plump for 2 x Cherry Pigmy Kordia. Will these be flourish and be ok in pots? What is the minimum size of pot that should be used? Will winter frost be ok as I suspect roots in pots get hit by the frost harder than if in the ground. And what soil/compost should I put in the pots? Should fertiliser be added each year/twice a year? Any other definite do's or don'ts? Thanks for any advice/help.

What size rootstock are they on?

Comment

I intend buying them from Parkers and the only information given about rootstock is as follows --'New Pigmy Cherry tree grown on Dwarf root stock. A real patio novelty as they grow to no more than 1.8-2m tall and they will bear an abundance gorgeous fragrant spring blossom and delicious fruit. The fascinating slow development of the blossom throughout the summer cumulating in beautiful, mouth-watering fruit is highly rewarding'

Comment

The most dwarfing rootstock for cherries is usually Gisela 5, which will generally give a mature height of about 2.5m to 3m. Kordia is one of the more vigorous varieties so it will be at the 3m+ end of the scale. Growing it in a pot or planter will restrict it - you are really relying on that in order to keep the height below 2m. I reckon you will need a container of at least 60 litres, and it should have a wide base for stability, because the tree will act like a sail when it is in leaf.

What do Parkers recommend for the planting material?

By the way Kordia (which I assume is the same as Pigmy Kordia) is not self-fertile, so you might need another cherry tree nearby which is compatible (and of a different variety).
        Last edited by orangepippin; 19-09-2012, 02:46 PM.

Comment

Thx Orangepippin. You have given me food for thought. They give the following info - Dessert black Cherry tree - originating from Germany. Self-fertile. Grown on very dwarf root stock which will produce mini patio fruit. As you can see they are saying it is self fertile. They illustrate with a diagram max height is 1.8 metres. Again this is at odds with your information. Perhaps I should avoid this tree fronm Parkers? They also say should be planted in well drained fertile soil -meaning the ground as they talk about digging and spreading the roots yet their picture of it should it in a pot on a patio. Am well confused lol.

Comment

Most authorities state that Kordia comes from the Czech Republic, and it is always considered to be very vigorous, and not self-fertile. Kordia is quite widely grown commercially, both in Europe and the USA, so it seems unlikely that there can be any confusion over its growth characteristics or origins. I agree the Parkers info seems quite different. There are three possible explanations:

1. They are selling something different, or some very dwarf variant of Kordia.

2. They are using a new very dwarfing cherry rootstock (perhaps from Germany, since that is where the Gisela series comes from).

3. They have got into a muddle.

It is interesting they say it should be planted in well drained fertile soil, since their picture shows it growing in rather small pot on a patio.

I am going to ask around, since if there really is a new ultra dwarf cherry rootstock that would be very interesting.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
            Working...
            X