Containing fruit roots,

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Containing fruit roots,

I have been googling as to if the above is acheivable,i came accross an article about root barriers,so got me thinking,then DH pops up with an idea,as we have lots of blue barrels,how about cutting them in half,sinking/half singing them into the ground,to try and contain the roots,by doing this,if the fruit roots only go so deep,it should at least help,the idea would be to put them a bit apart in a row down the lottie,so in effect the they would look like bushes,as oppossed to a long line,

A.. to half/mostly sink,would make for easier weeding plus,a good mulch on the top would stay where you put it,plus water can be pured in for it to seep down into to roots and not be syhponed out to the dry surround,
    B..sink it completly,
    up to now,since writing this,i think the first option will work best,
    what do you think,has anyone done this,is it still possible the odd roots do come up,if the were spot killed,mmm,alsorts going round in my head,
    thanks peeps
    sigpicAnother nutter ,wife,mother, nan and nanan,love my growing places,seed collection and sharing,also one of these

Is the plastic strim proof if you leave some exposed? I suspect it will be but if it's not then leaving some above the surface will be a pita.

What fruit -Raspberries?

Comment

What sort of fruit are we talking about?

Comment

Yes raspberries RL,sorry i ommited to say what fruit doh,
        there will be no strimmer involved AD,
        I have to move them this year,as they need a good sort out,hence my need for doing things different,
        sigpicAnother nutter ,wife,mother, nan and nanan,love my growing places,seed collection and sharing,also one of these

Comment

I take it your raspberries are spreading and taking over. Yes your plan would probably work, but if you are transplanting them anyway why not do a traditional post and wire construction.

Space the plants and be vigilant and you shouldn't have any problems. Raspberries are shallow rooted so any shoots that come up where they shouldn't be can be severed with a spade quite easily.

Comment

RL,they are already on posts,these snapped and are currently maccled up temporaly, and wires,they have to be moved,then new posts put in,they are now to near the pond area,and the rhubarb,so i aime to have a move and revamp of the fruit area,with the rasps in another place on their own,then i can keep better control,of things,the pond was put in after the rasps,the area now being a little congested,well up to now i have no,no no's,so it seems like the sunken barrels idea so far,,
            thankyou peeps for your input,everything is helpeful

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
            Working...
            X