Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My little fig tree

Hi there,

I've not posted for a couple of years, but I have literally just moved into a new house with a large garden (after many years with a tiny courtyard) and I think I'm going to do some proper fruit and veg growing. Which means asking lots of very basic questions.

For starters: I got one of the cheap brown turkey fig trees from the last issue of the magazine. It showed up and seems healthy, but is also fairly tiny - maybe 8 inches tall. Eventually I'd like to find it a permanent home in the garden, but for now I need to get a sense of where the sun shines and what goes where before I plant anything permanently, so I'm going to keep it in a pot till spring. That said, I don't know if I should put it in a large pot straight away and leave it outside or whether I should keep it in its small pot inside. Or something else entirely.

Any suggestions gratefully received.

Didn't you get any cultural instructions with it?

Comment

Well... it tells me how to look after it in general, but not whether I can stick it outside now. So I think I can look after it long term, it's just making sure it survives the next few weeks that is the problem.

Comment

What size pot is it in?

Comment

It's a small pot - 5 inches maybe. I checked again last night, no real instructions about what to do NOW.

Comment

I'm no expert, but I'd put it in a slightly larger pot and keep it somewhere frost free over winter. I take cuttings from mine and they look pretty dead once they've lost their leaves. I leave them in the corner of the greenhouse to root and most of them start budding up in spring.

Comment

Thank you - that was my guess, but I wanted to make sure I was doing the right thing. I suspect the newly inherited greenhouse should be fine for the moment. Just need to remember to water occasionally.

Comment

I got one of these too. I've potted it on into one of the black supermarket flower buckets - it's now sitting happily in the polytunnel.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X