Strawberry runners

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strawberry runners

I've been tending our strawberry runners lovingly this last few weeksand have got most of them to root in small pots. I know the runners will eventually break on their own but I wanted to cut them myself and make a bit more room to try and get a few more runners in pots. Where do I need to cut them, my Dad said at both ends of the runner but I'm worried about chopping them in the wrong place!
    Also how will the new baby plants fair over winter if I leave them outside or is it best to pop them in our small plastic greenhouse?

The runner is like the umbilical cord that connects the baby to its mother - so once severed, where ever you cut it, that connection is lost. Cut it off at both ends for neatness as its done its job.
    Some runners will produce a baby and will carry on running and produce another smaller baby along the line. Its pretty obvious when this happens! Its probably best to cut these off too so that the first born baby can keep all of its strength

Comment

Even the small strawberry runners often survive.

Once they've rooted they don't need to remain connected to the mother plant or to each other.

Strawberries will die-off for the winter but are very hardy and even the smallest runners should be capable or withstanding temperatures well below freezing; they don't need winter protection. If you give them protection they will lose their hardiness.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
      Working...
      X