No announcement yet.

Using fresh currents in recipes, in which I count my chickens before they hatch

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Using fresh currents in recipes, in which I count my chickens before they hatch

So, for Christmas among other things I got some grape vines and some current bushes. We moved to France in the spring and although we've managed to eat some mince pies and christmas cake, christmas pudding was absent, which was devastating because it's my favourite thing about Christmas <sob>

So you can see were this is going I'm sure, I got to thinking that next year i could use my own currents, 'raisins' and 'sultanas' in homemade xmas pud (etc) except having googled I can't seem to find any recipes or even guidance on how to do this. For those of you who don't know it is traditional to make xmas cake, pudding and mince meat in the autumn so I would imagine that at some point it must have involved fresh produce? Anyone know of anything? or have any ideas about what if anything needs to change when replacing dried fruit with fresh fruit.

anyway, I hope there isn't a cooking forum, cause if there is I'm in the wrong one!

Caroline

a few weeks ago i was googling prior to buying grape vines,and i DID come across sites,without looking for,about how to dry your own grapes,but you need a warm country,have a look and see,apart from that,no idea,and MOST peeps on this forum,do know all about,and when,to make christmas,indeed,any type of cake,as well as growing our own
    sigpicAnother nutter ,wife,mother, nan and nanan,love my growing places,seed collection and sharing,also one of these

Comment

Currants, raisins and sultanas are all dried grapes - see this link What is the Difference Between Raisins, Sultanas and Currants?

You don't say what type of currant bushes you have - red, black, or white?

Comment

As the Rusty has said ^^^ Currant bushes have completely different fruit to those that you would normally use in a Christmas cake or pud.
        If you used fresh grapes you would need to reduce the liquid that you added to the cake, the texture would also be different.

Comment

Oh no! I knew that sultanas and raisins were of the grape vine but I had always assumed currants were, well currants :-(

oh, and one of each (red black and white)

Caroline
          Last edited by carolineholding; 27-12-2012, 08:07 AM. Reason: forgot to answer the question

Comment

Just for your information Caroline. If you are looking for dried fruit in France (which is available but in small quantities and expensive) you are looking for, Raisins de surinam = sultanas, raisins de corinth= currants and raisins sec = raisins. It is one of the few things I bring back from the UK now.
            Gardening requires a lot of water - most of it in the form of perspiration. Lou Erickson, critic and poet

Comment

Originally posted by roitelet View Post
              Just for your information Caroline. If you are looking for dried fruit in France (which is available but in small quantities and expensive) you are looking for, Raisins de surinam = sultanas, raisins de corinth= currants and raisins sec = raisins. It is one of the few things I bring back from the UK now.
              As Roitelet says, they are very expensive here but if you have a Grand Frais (which, although expensive, is a lovely shop) you will be able to get all sorts of goodies in there, including raisins etc. I try and bring some back from UK when I can, along with suet and muscovado sugar especially for puddings etc.
              Last edited by scarey55; 27-12-2012, 08:28 AM. Reason: Stray space snuck in before the comma!
              A garden is a lovesome thing, God wot! (Thomas Edward Brown)

Comment

Guys, while I have your attention and we're on the subject of shopping in France: Seville Oranges, can't find them anywhere, partner is a total marmalade head. Suggestions? thanks and apologies to none expats -I know this has nothing to do with gardening!

Comment

Caroline, no need to apologise. This forum is about much more than gardening
                  In fact, there is a sub-forum entitled In the Kitchen. Recipes, tips and all sorts.

Comment

Watch the 'French Grapes Recomendation' threads and I am sure someone will let you know if there are any about. It's a very short season for them.
                    Last edited by roitelet; 29-12-2012, 12:31 PM.
                    Gardening requires a lot of water - most of it in the form of perspiration. Lou Erickson, critic and poet

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X