Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Planting strawberries in pots - advice very welcome!

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Planting strawberries in pots - advice very welcome!

Hello! I'm thinking of trying my hand at strawberries this year but will have to do so in pots. I am thinking of the ones in the link below, it seems they can be stacked.

Do they seem to be suitable for strawberries? If so, just one plant to each section?

Any other tips on strawberry growing would be much appreciated. I'm an expert on eating but growing....

No link Sssam

Comment

Well clearly I didn't make any mistake here, I just thought this was the forum for people who grow fruit & veg and are psychic....

Here is the link then - Trio Planter | Poundland

Comment

Most of the time we are psychic - must be having an off day
        I know a few people have bought those planters - just mention £ shops and they'll be along

Comment

Looks like you'd be able to keep the plants well watered which is the usual problem with the tall pots with "pockets" for planting in the side.

Comment

I've used those planters, and they're awful.

None of the plants I put in them are still alive (after a year): most succumb to drought or drowning (the drainage ain't great), and the top layers shade out the plants underneath.

Trust me, they're not even worth a quid.
            All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Thanks for letting me know! Saves me time, money and effort...

Any cheap planters people can recommend then?

Comment

Don't stack them.
                sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
                --------------------------------------------------------------------
                Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
                -------------------------------------------------------------------
                Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
                -----------------------------------------------------------
                KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

And use a drill to make extra drainage holes

Comment

Yes, 1 strawberry plant per section, so 3 in one layer.

Comment

Originally posted by Sssam84 View Post
                      Well clearly I didn't make any mistake here, I just thought this was the forum for people who grow fruit & veg and are psychic....
                      We're good but we're not that good

Comment

I have 6 in wall baskets, even with the rain we had last year it was difficult to keep them hydrated during sunny spells. My advice would be to either include those water absorbing granules or one of the reservoirs you can turn upside down and insert in the soil. In fact I'll most likely dig mine out and replant using both methods.

Comment

I grow in pots every year. I have had great results, but like everyone else says, you need to keep watering. I mix water retaining granuals in the soil and it does help.

And when your back stops aching,
                          And your hands begin to harden.
                          You will find yourself a partner,
                          In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

Mine are in 10lt tubs, 3 to a tub stacked 3 high, fed and watered but last year was rubbish and not expecting much this year, Raspberries might be better.....
                            Eat well, live well, drink moderately and be happy (hic!)

Comment

Originally posted by Sssam84 View Post
                              Thanks for letting me know! Saves me time, money and effort...

Any cheap planters people can recommend then?
                              A window box if you only have a few, that's where mine are at the moment. Personally I'd just put them in a grow bag and replace it every year. It isn't the most aesthetically pleasing way, but the leaves should cover most of it in time and it's convenient.

Like this:

The added bonus is that the heat on the grow bag from the sun will ripen the strawberries, the bad point is that you should be weary of letting the roots get to hot. The plants themselves should eventually shade the bag though, so it should solve itself.

After years of growing them in containers myself, this is how I'm growing them this year. They always outgrow whatever container you put them in a pretty rapidly too.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X