Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dormant Grapevines

Hi,

I re-homed 10 grape vines (Bacchus) from Ickworth Vineyard in February. I replanted them, 8 at my allotment, and 2 in my garden (1 of which is in an experimental position). I've been checking on them all regularly but I can't even see what appears to be bud swelling or any signs of life. I understand they are probably shell shocked from being re-planted but I was under the impression they should of showed some growth by now.

Any-way, here's a few pics of the one in the best position in my garden, south facing close to a brick wall which will be used to train the vines up onto.

Attached Files
    Last edited by DuncanM; 07-05-2013, 10:46 PM.

What are those green buds all over the top of picture1? Look like buds to me.
    Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better...Albert Einstein

Blog - @Twotheridge: For The Record - Sowing and Growing with a Virgin Veg Grower: Spring Has Now Sprung...Boing! http://vvgsowingandgrowing2012.blogs....html?spref=tw

Comment

Nope, that's some sort of moss that was on the vine when I got it

Comment

Ahh. My inside ones burst into life recently. Maybe you need to give them a few weeks yet.
        Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better...Albert Einstein

Blog - @Twotheridge: For The Record - Sowing and Growing with a Virgin Veg Grower: Spring Has Now Sprung...Boing! http://vvgsowingandgrowing2012.blogs....html?spref=tw

Comment

Fingers crossed!

For the record the bark missing from the vine was only recently pulled off by myself - maybe a week ago (out of interest), none of the other vines have had this done to them.

Comment

My grapevine took forever to get started last year, so maybe it's just a bit late there too.
            Ali

My blog: feral007.com/countrylife/

Some days it's hardly worth chewing through the restraints!

One bit of old folklore wisdom says to plant tomatoes when the soil is warm enough to sit on with bare buttocks. In surburban areas, use the back of your wrist. Jackie French

Member of the Eastern Branch of the Darn Under Nutter's Club

Comment

I have a young potted vine and it has just shown the first signs of budding in the last week. Maybe the cold spring has held them back?

Comment

Is it too dry right up against the wall? Has it been watered since planting?

Comment

My outdoor one hasn't come into life yet either.

Comment

It definitely isn't in the wall's rain shadow, but I do very occasionally water it (with rain water from the water butt next to it) if things are looking very dry. Hopefully it's still alive and just biding it's time

Comment

Most things are around a month late this year, and considering you've relocated them, they may well be sulking. I wouldn't worry yet.
                      All the best - Glutton 4 Punishment
                      Freelance shrub butcher and weed removal operative.

Comment

This is my first year of grape vines,i have them in flower buckets inside for now,whilst i think where to place them,anyhow,i also thought they were no good,then last week the green one is bursting into life,the red one just starting,this looks like the second year on the trot for weather and growing patterns,
                        sigpicAnother nutter ,wife,mother, nan and nanan,love my growing places,seed collection and sharing,also one of these

Comment

Mine is just starting to open its leaves- its outside on a south facing wall
                          Attached Files

Comment

Hi all,

Just wanted to ask a question about my grapevine again. 1 out of the 10 I got from Ickworth has just started to burst its buds, but a few of the others have massively split trunks. I'm talking about a good 2cm on the outside of the trunk closing in towards the centre.

I will add some photos tonight, but is this cold damage, and if so will they survive?

Comment

Will wait for the photos.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X