pear tree problem

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pear tree problem

was recently bought a pear tree from b&q as a birthday preset but cant seem to find any information on it , its a eating pear columnar called saphira,(unfortuately the only thing i keep getting is for eragon the book) any help would be apprecaited. Im looking for the pollination group etc

any help greatly appreciated

I've had a really good look on Google, and can't find your variety. I suspect B & Q have re-named it. You could try phoning them and asking.

However I did find this list of varieties which includes pollination groups A list of Pear Tree Varieties (cultivars) including pollination groups,type and cropping season

Comment

Not particularly helpful but a reference!!
      Plant information | NovaPlantInfo

Comment

Sprechen Sie Deutsch?

I think it may be a German variety.
        Try prefixing searches with "Pyrus communis" - as in "Pyrus communis Saphira".

Last edited by FB.; 05-06-2013, 04:15 PM.

Comment

Oh - orangepippin usually gets to hear about the up-and-coming new stuff. Maybe he'll drop in later.

Comment

There are ways to filter google results effectively. Google is a powerful ally when you know how to use it:

so you'd search "pyrus communis saphira" as FB mentions, but then add "-eragon" to the end of it.

Doing that gave this page: Säulenbirne 'Saphira' - Pyrus communis 'Saphira' - Baumschule Horstmann

But then you can throw it into google translate, and you get this link:

Google Translate

That the pear you have?
            Forgive me for my pages of text.

Comment

Originally posted by davidmallon View Post
              was recently bought a pear tree from b&q
              Looks like AkionTotocha has solved this one. But it raises an interesting point about the fruit trees sold by the major supermarkets and DIY stores etc. More and more seem to source their nursery stock from abroad (most often The Netherlands). Presumably these can supply the huge numbers the stores require. I'm not suggesting this is a bad thing, except for UK nurseries, but maybe it's a regrettable trend. However, I bought a Victoria plum tree from the now defunct Focus store near where I live. It came from Netherlands and was a really good specimen, better than some I've bought from UK suppliers.

Comment

I used my pocket money when I was a kid to buy a ballerina apple tree.

"Mallus domestica"

....great job, Homebase.
                Forgive me for my pages of text.

Comment

cheers guys and gals for all the replies i think FB may have cracked it now i just need to find a suitable pollinator. AkionTotocha that google pic looks handy ill be saving that for future use.

Comment

Originally posted by davidmallon View Post
                    FB may have cracked it now i just need to find a suitable pollinator.
                    Dankeschon.

Suitable pollinators not only need to flower around the same time, but also need to be unrelated. Father x daughter in the pear world results in much reduced fruit set compared to two unrelated varieties. Two trees of the same variety are quite likely to be completely unable to pollinate each other.

Some pears are self-fertile, part-self-fertile or parthenocarpic so pollination is less of an issue with those varieties.
                    If someone in a nearby garden has a pear it may well be a suitable pollinator for yours.

Comment

Hi davidmallon,

I wondered did you ever find out any pollination information on the pear tree. We have bought the same - seduced by a knock down price - but now like you are struggling to find out any pollination information about it.

Any help appreciated.

Comment

afraid not but im jst going to bide my time and see when it flowers

Comment

Originally posted by boundtothesoil View Post
                          Looks like AkionTotocha has solved this one. But it raises an interesting point about the fruit trees sold by the major supermarkets and DIY stores etc. More and more seem to source their nursery stock from abroad (most often The Netherlands). Presumably these can supply the huge numbers the stores require. I'm not suggesting this is a bad thing, except for UK nurseries, but maybe it's a regrettable trend. However, I bought a Victoria plum tree from the now defunct Focus store near where I live. It came from Netherlands and was a really good specimen, better than some I've bought from UK suppliers.
                          It's probably regrettable, but not really surprising. Other countries take horticulture more seriously than we do, and it is better supported in colleges and research stations and government funding. They may also have better weather, and cheaper costs (especially labour and land). We used to be very good at this stuff, and we could be again, but many of the varieties and practically all the new growing techniques for orchards were invented elsewhere.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X