Grapevine Training/Pruning?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grapevine Training/Pruning?

I acquired m first grapevine 3 weeks ago and it is in a large pot in the corner of my greenhouse currently growing up a steak towards the roof. I was planning then to train it along a wire that goes across the greenhouse roof in a zig zag. I appreciate I most likely won't get any fruit this year but my question is once this has grown the length of the wire can I stop it at the end and each year just let it re-grow off this main branch and harvest from the side-shoots cutting it back each year to the main stem? It is a white eating/wine variety. I've tried reading up on it but it's very confusing and with two little ones I don't have the time, was looking for a quick idiots guide really for my plan.

Can anyone help me please? I don't want to mess it up.

Comment

Sorry nobody has answered you,i don't know either,like you i have a couple of vines this year,and like you would gratefull for an idiots rough guide,regards training,i have read on here recently that you most likely will get some shading,from the leaves,
      sigpicAnother nutter ,wife,mother, nan and nanan,love my growing places,seed collection and sharing,also one of these

Comment

With a new vine let it produce a stem/rod of the required length and then take out the tip, stop it. If the end of the rod should die back a bit in the winter let a new shoot make up the difference. In the first year you will need to keep it under control by snapping off any growth that is in the way.

In the depths of winter when it is dormant cut off all the side growth to the main rod. The new shoots will come from the base of the stems. Let it grow and when it produces flowers stop the stems 2 leaves beyond the flower. No need to cut them just snap them off. All the growing season you will need to keep it under control by snapping off any unwanted growth. Don't let it produce too many bunches just keep them to a reasonable number.

Vines are very strong growers and will need attention on a weekly basis or they will take over. Never cut any hard wood during the growing season or the vine could bleed to death it is fine to snap of soft growth.

Hope this helps.
        Last edited by roitelet; 19-06-2013, 11:18 AM.
        Gardening requires a lot of water - most of it in the form of perspiration. Lou Erickson, critic and poet

Comment

Perfect answer, thank you. Saved me a lot of time and hopefully gained me wine. top marks.

Comment

Thanks Roitelet That's the first time I've understood what to do with my vine
            Fiskies - my grapevine is planted outside the GH but led in through a hole cut in one of the panes of glass (cut a corner off a pane). It does create a lot of shade if not kept cut back frequently.

Comment

Mine is thankfully going to spread on the roof the side away from the sun and other plants so I'm hoping it won't be too much an issue. I was also thinking of letting a bit branch off out the roof of the greenhouse and train it along some wires over my patio for a bit of shade and easy reach grapes.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
              Working...
              X