Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jostaberry Question

Hi

One of the older ladies on our site had a large jostaberry that was taking up too much space last year (around 4 foot in height and quite wide also).

She asked me to remove it for her as she could not manage, and also because she said it gets lots of green foliage but only produces around 20 fruits each year.

I removed it and took a chance, planting it in my plot to see if it took. It has, and this year it has produced healthy growth again and looking like the usual 20 berries, but I am pretty sure at this point in its life it should be producing more than that.

I do not think it will ever have been pruned, but its a plant I do not have much familiarity with. Clearly it is too late to do much this season but i'm really after some advice for the end of the season to give it a better chance of producing next year.

Thanks

I have several jostaberries and they do make a lot of new growth and become huge. They also grow very easily from cuttings!
    Treat it like a blackcurrant. In autumn, take cuttings from this year's new growth and poke them in the ground. Also, cut out some of the old wood from the bush and open it up a bit.

Comment

Thanks! How does the fruit taste? Is yours plentiful in its produce? I can't believe mine is the norm but afterr reassurance!

Comment

Mine didn't produce much last year but looks like a good crop this year if I can keep the birds off!
        Gardening requires a lot of water - most of it in the form of perspiration. Lou Erickson, critic and poet

Comment

Its a cross between a blackcurrant and a gooseberry in all respects. So the fruit is mid-sized between them and mid-flavoured. It crops like a gooseberry - individual fruit along the branches - but doesn't have spines to prickle when you pick.
          If you ever come across Worcesterberry - they're a similar hybrid but have thorns and the leaves are more like a gooseberry. The jostaberry is a better choice IMO.

Comment

Can I pinch a cutting or two please VC?

Comment

Would I say No to you Chris?
              NO!!

Comment

Good excuse to meet the new member of the household too

Comment

I'll have to do some serious weeding before I can even reach the jostaberries - just been to look for them

Comment

I have a jostaberry bush and it's nowhere near as big as yours. It does produce fruit, more than 20 but not sure how much more I like it because the birds don't seem to notice it as much....shhhh. I've moved it this year, and will be taking cuttings towards the end of winter. And hoping for the best. I like the flavour a lot, more tart than a blueberry which I like Can't say about a gooseberry because mine didn't get that far this year.
                    Ali

My blog: feral007.com/countrylife/

Some days it's hardly worth chewing through the restraints!

One bit of old folklore wisdom says to plant tomatoes when the soil is warm enough to sit on with bare buttocks. In surburban areas, use the back of your wrist. Jackie French

Member of the Eastern Branch of the Darn Under Nutter's Club

Comment

My josta is huge and looking at a decent crop this year. Last year I only had one berry I think.

Is very early to flower so if I caught a late frost then that could affect your yield?
                      The more help a man has in his garden, the less it belongs to him.
                      William M. Davies

Comment

My josta is huge and looking at a decent crop this year. Last year I only had one berry I think.

Is very early to flower so if I caught a late frost then that could affect your yield?
                        The more help a man has in his garden, the less it belongs to him.
                        William M. Davies

Comment

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
                          I'll have to do some serious weeding before I can even reach the jostaberries - just been to look for them
                          Subtle hint?

Comment

Nope - I don't do subtle
                            You can have Worcesterberry cuttings too if you want!

Comment

I'll have whatever you're giving!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X