Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What fruit is this?

Hi all

I'm embarrassed to ask this, I should have been able to ID it I recon on Google, so sorry!

This is our first full year in this garden and the previous house owner had a kitchen garden at the back of the grass in the garden. A couple of weeks ago we were replacing all the fencing the length of the garden and my Dad discovered some fruit bushes growing in a small space behind the (now shredded ) polytunnel - I hadn't ventured round the back of it - the space is so small it never entered my head there'd be anything there!

So, I presumed it was a gooseberry bush as there were lots of small green stripey fruits on the branches. However I've ventrured there again today and the fruits are bigger but not the oval shape I'm used to seeing goosegogs in, they're all definitely round which threw me.

I've googled gooseberries and currants but can't quite place the leaves/fruits. There was also a coloured fruit on there that had split that had lots of seeds in it - but as it's the wrong time of year for the fruit to be ripe (I'm presuming anyway) I'm thinking the colouring of it might be a red herring...?

I've attached pics of the fruit with leaves, and the coloured, split fruit that was on the bush in case it helps. It's an absolute tangle round there but I've not yet been stabbed with any thorns...

(Now also goes off to check the forum for suggestions on the shredded polytunnel!)

Attached Files
    Shortie

"There are only two lasting bequests we can hope to give our children; one of these is roots, the other wings" - Hodding Carter

I'm erring more towards a currant of some sort as it goes... I' just found photos from the allotment which has googegogs and white currants on it - they're more like currant leaves I think?

But currant bushes have thorns I thought?
    Shortie

"There are only two lasting bequests we can hope to give our children; one of these is roots, the other wings" - Hodding Carter

Comment

Looks like blackcurrant to me. They don't have thorns like gooseberries. Blackcurrants do have a distinctive blackcurrant smell.

Comment

Could be a Jostaberry or a blackcurrant maybe? Currants don't have thorns but goosegogs do. Rub the leaves - do they smell of blackcurrants?

Comment

Yep, my vote goes for black or redcurrant, mine don't have thorns on and are looking exactly like that in terms of ripeness. If it is a blackcurrant you will notice a strong Ribena smell if you rub the leaves.
          A garden is a lovesome thing, God wot! (Thomas Edward Brown)

Comment

This is our blackcurrant bush if it helps?
            Attached Files
            When weeding, the best way to make sure you are removing a weed and not a valuable plant is to pull on it.
            If it comes out of the ground easily, it is a valuable plant.

Comment

I am new to this but the 1st pic. looks just like my blackcurrants.

Comment

My first thought was currants, too, looking at the leaves.
                All the best - Glutton 4 Punishment
                Freelance shrub butcher and weed removal operative.

Comment

Thanks everyone - so not a goosgog like I thought a few weeks back, whoops! Definitely sounds like a blackcurrant in that case - I'll have a rub of the leaves when I'm back out there tomorrow

Thanks KittyColdNose - that does help lots - that's what mine looks like too except I have such a mass there that it's bananas trying to get a photo of one stem :O
                  Shortie

Comment

You said "there were lots of small green stripey fruits on the branches.".
                    Blackcurrants aren't stripey but Jostaberries are - as they are a cross between a blackcurrant and a gooseberry - so my money's on a Jostaberry, even though they're quite uncommon

Comment

You are welcome

It is a baby plant that we only got this year so there aren't that many fruit.
                      When weeding, the best way to make sure you are removing a weed and not a valuable plant is to pull on it.
                      If it comes out of the ground easily, it is a valuable plant.

Comment

think i have the same plant , i took a cutting off a bush down at the lottie (from a vacant plot) so i thought it was a blackcurrant but the fruits are stripey like the ops picture . i stuck it in a large pot and the growth as been very fast

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X